• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Independent's 'Pet of the Week' article

What a mealy old piece.

I've commented on it - such a shame - they missed a trick. They could have made a real difference by giving good information instead of that lame rambling.

Saying they are easy to care for and only need a 3 foot hutch!!!

I would like to invite him here to spend even an hour with Strawberry locked in a three foot hutch! He would quickly retract his article- Strawberry loves his space and can be very persistant when he doesnt get what he wants!!!

I sent an email to features@independent.co.uk (addressed to Roger Alton, the editor of The Independent).

I am dismayed and angry with the ‘Pet of the week’ article by Jamie Buckley in today’s Independent magazine which suggested a rabbit as a pet at Easter. Will you be similarly endorsing puppies for Christmas? It is totally irresponsible and thoughtless.

To compound those errors, the article demonstrates lazy ‘research’ and inadequate ‘reporting’. Netherland dwarfs are very small rabbits but to suggest a pair or one would have a happy life in a 3ft by 1ft hutch is a serious threat to the welfare of the two. I also dispute the claim that a rabbit is pretty low maintenance with the occasional vet bill. Rabbits need three vaccinations annually (one for viral haemorraghic disease (VHD) and two for myxomatosis; say £15 each). Any pet could be considered ‘low maintenance’ if it is healthy; rabbits are just as expensive as dogs or cats should they be unwell. A further implication is that ‘maintenance’ is only about the animal’s physical health and therefore the rabbit can be ignored or paid attention to as it suits the owner; again this is misleading and ignores its emotional wellbeing. Your reporter hinted that two rabbits are best as they like company and reminds us that they ‘breed like rabbits’. Clearly a better point to have made was that rabbits can and should be neutered (costing in the region of £60-£120) so that they can and should be kept more happily as a pair.

Finally the article proposed asking a vet to find a rabbit in need of rehoming. A vet? Proper research would have lead the journalist to the Rabbit Welfare Association, an extensive range of rabbit rescues across the country and a useful range of leaflets for people to help them decide if a rabbit is right for them.

To have read this article when the campaign to encourage people not to buy rabbits on a whim, Make Mine Chocolate, supported by the RSPCA amongst others, is in its first year is particularly depressing. I think you should make amends – perhaps an article on the Make Mine Chocolate campaign and the increase in rabbits given up to animal rescues in the weeks after Easter.

The article has been forwarded to Anne Mitchell of the RWA - sure she won't be too impressed.

It only takes one herbert like this journalist to take things one step back in a second doesn't it.

Sure hope that anyone reading it, will also read the comments.

Helen

truly appalling. They didn't even mention having a run, and rabbits are NOT simple to feed as I think all of us have discovered. and what's with referencign myxi then not bothering to mention vaccs?!

sorrel would EAT a three foot hutch.

Like you all I found the article irresponsible and misleading. I have also e-mailed the Features Editor to express my concern. :evil:

On a lighter note, one aspect was spot on - the suggestion that some rabbits have a bit of an attitude! Anyone know a rabbit with an attitude problem? :lol:

it's such a shame isn't it, given the publicity that has been going on on the TV and other newspapers about rabbit welfare over the last few weeks it seems to have completely slipped the independent by.....do you think it is the same story they pull out every year?

it's such a shame isn't it, given the publicity that has been going on on the TV and other newspapers about rabbit welfare over the last few weeks it seems to have completely slipped the independent by.....do you think it is the same story they pull out every year?

God knows but by the look of if the bl***y article is about 25 years out of date :?:evil:

Shocking! Is this the Independent or Heat magazine??!! Jamie Buckley writes as if he is trying far too hard to be witty and cool...pity he didn't get his facts right before he wrote the article! If he had spent as much time researching as he had trying to come up with clever one liners and be oh so funny then he wouldn't have written this nonsense. Where did he find out this info? Did he pull it 'out of a top hat, perhaps?' 3ftx1ft indeed!!

Well done for all the comments at the bottom of the article-hopefully people will read them and ignore the drivel above. Hope that the RWA will get somewhere.

Just as I was thinking that the media were starting to get it right too: GMTV, The Telegraph.... this is really really shocking from the Independent.

This article is so upsetting :cry: to think how many bunnies it will directly affect as a result of people reading it and thinking it's the 'norm' to keep rabbits that way... We all cry out for better education on keeping rabbits but when the 'education' is of such dismal quality, the owners have no chance.

I can't add a comment to the article as I am not a registered user but my thoughts have been echoed by others already on there. I just hope potential owners scroll down to read the comments! :censored:

Back