• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tong Garden Centre, Leeds GGGrrrrrrrr!!!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Tong Garden Centre have rally pipped me off!

They are advertising their "Easter Weekend Extravaganza" and on the leaflet it says "Lots of small pets at bargain prices"!!!!:censored::censored:

I feel an email coming on!

That really isn't good :shock: *shakes head in disgust*

I got Scratty from there :oops::oops: (five years ago)

They really do not do "bargain prices" in any part of the pet section, but what an appalling stupid thing to do.

Last edited:
My friend used to work there. They had a bunny who had not been bought, and because they got a new batch of "cute fluffy babies" in, they told her to take the older one outside and "brick it" :evil::evil::evil:

Needless to say she didn't, she brought him home with her that night and had him for years until he sadly passed away about 6 months ago.
:cry:

I used to work there, and it is a disgusting horrible place. they couldn't sex ANY animals, they used to inbreed them, sell babies at 4 weeks old and then you'd get people coming back in with litters and it'd all start again.
i won't go in there anymore. needless to say i didn't work there for long either. i've never heard such rubbish to come out of their mouths with their 'advice' :evil:

Tong Garden Centre have rally pipped me off!

They are advertising their "Easter Weekend Extravaganza" and on the leaflet it says "Lots of small pets at bargain prices"!!!!:censored::censored:

I feel an email coming on!

EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL!! Unleash your bunny fury!!!!

EDIT: There HAS to be some way of getting these places closed??? I mean they obv haven't a clue about animals isn't that enough for the RSPCA to close them down?? How can you sell animals if they are kept in bad conditions and you don't have a clue?

i saw that the other day and was mortified dont think ill be going in there! places like that should have some sort of physical proof that they are capeable of looking after their live stock :(:(

It could be worthwhile contacting Environmental Health as they will be the people who issue the license for them to sell pets. There should also be an annual independant vets inspection done as a report to say they are fit to have their license renewed, so it could be worthwhile questioning that and finding out if it has indeed taken place as it should do.

There used to be a pet shop within a garden centre local to where I used to live like that.

I went in one Sunday and saw a tiny little smokey grey bun, couldn't have been more than 4/5 weeks old and very very sick. I scooped it up into my hands and walked out of the shop with it being challenged all the time by the staff. I was so incensed, I turned round and dared them to try and take it off me - I was a woman possessed :evil: Needless to say, they left me alone :lol:

Now I'm not advocating breaking the law but in my case, I couldn't just watch the poor little thing die in that place. I got her treated by a vet and she went on to have many many happy years with me binkying round my garden :love:

I reported the shop and they stopped selling small mammals shortly after and just kept their aquarium section.

Smiths garden centre in Pool (nr Leeds) doesn't sell rabbits but I spotted a ridiculously tiny, poorly constructed hutch for sale there the other day. Made my feelings known to the girl working nearby but she just looked at me and smiled sympathetically.

This is such a serious issue. Makes me so mad that people just dismiss rabbits as if they're throw away soft toys that you can stick outside in a coffin-sized box and attend to when you feel like it. Something has to be done. We all need to take responsibility and target these places; letters, emails, mass protests - whatever it takes.

What also scares me is the amount of people making and selling hutches off their own backs. They have no idea what they're producing.

Here's a link to the thread I posted on ebay's Family Home and Garden. I was pretty mad but the responses I got from some of the idiots on there was unbelievable. I'm the OP - whitemaremma.

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100231883&start=0

I guess that some people just wont be educated so lets just hope they never decide to get a rabbit.

If you can just change 1 persons mind regarding housing for rabbits and just 1 rabbit gets a better life because of it, then it has been worthwhile.

I hate Tong garden centre - its very near my parents and now I just refuse to go in!
I also keep reptiles and recently they have decided to start keeping them....obviously they havent got a clue what they are doing they just thought they might get some ££ for it as reptiles are becoming more popular! It was disgusting the conditions!

Thats awfull. Telling them to kill a bunny because it is too old :( You should definately mention that if you complain.

I got Gregory from there. I refuse to go there ever again. Now that I know about bunnies I am appalled at the information I was given and the hutch they recommended. I sent them an email months ago asking them to change the infromation the give when selling rabbits but they couldn;t even be bothered to reply.:evil:

Just thought I'd let you know Tong garden centre hasn't changed one bit. The rabbits all looked ill , there were far too many in small glass cages and the ones in the larger cages looked very poorly.

They had some baby Horsfield tortoises too, their food must have been in there bowl for at least 5 days as it was fermenting and just general yuck, their water was stagnant and the little darlings were on a substrate of pure sand, it was all in their eyes :cry::cry:

They shouldn't be allowed to sell pets at all.

My friend used to work there. They had a bunny who had not been bought, and because they got a new batch of "cute fluffy babies" in, they told her to take the older one outside and "brick it" :evil::evil::evil:

Needless to say she didn't, she brought him home with her that night and had him for years until he sadly passed away about 6 months ago.
:cry:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Omg...how can people be so heartless :cry:

Back