• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandelions? Are they "free food"???

I believe dandelions can have a diurectic effect (hence the old saying that dandelions make you wet the bed!!) so I think they shouldn't be given in huge quantities. But a few leaves shouldn't hurt. I'm not sure I'd feed them every day but perhaps a couple of times a week.

Last edited:
My mam planted a dandelion plant in a jug in the back garden so we would always have some :roll:
They only get it as a treat normally :) Once a week or so, depending on how much other veg they've had

My garden is almost only dandelions! :oops: My bun free ranges and so I'm sure eats more than his fair share - but has been fine.

Mine normally get a couple daily, although dandelions have pulled several buns out of stasis and when they get like that, they can have as many as they want.

dandilions are a diuretic and they can also cause diarhea if fed in very large amounts ...

small amount every day wont hurt but aviod letting your bun gorge on them all at once or you could have a poorly bunny ..

I give mine a few when I can find them:lol: They absolutely go mad for them, and they never seem to get any problems after having them... but I wouldn't go overboard as with any fresh greens.

dandilion are called pis-en-lit in France........fine as a treat in small amounts, even daily but they don't half make bunnies pee.

I pick a carrier bag full of dandelions every day for my buns and thay have no Ill affects.Wild buns eat them till the cows come home.So I would say yes they are a very nutritional free food

I only tend to give my rabbits a few dandelion leaves, although whenever my grandma comes round she insits on giving them truck loads (She goes out and picks it especially). Both my bunnies love it!

Back