• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long until Harry can go out?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

I've just adopted Harry. He was vaccinated against Myxi and VHD last year on April 14th, and I took him to the vet when I got him on Monday and he had a general health check and a myxi jab then. (That would be the 6th April.) He's going to have the VHD again in a fortnight.

How long do you think I should leave it until he's safe to go out on the grass? He's getting desperate, although he's got two large non-lawn areas to run around in he remembers from when I rabbit-sat him before that we've got the garden and keeps trying to escape into it.

Hesperus
P.S. Apologies, I got lost in the forum (new user!), I thought this was the care section. Please do feel free to move this post and sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb over here is that the vacc builds up slowly in their system and full protection kicks after 2 weeks. Might be different over there though.

I would wait a good couple of weeks after he has had his VHD vaccination before you let him out.Before we had the vaccination I always found It was this time of year,when the wild birds such as wood pigeons came into the garden that my bunnies would die of VHD

Oh crumbs! How old is the bun you are talking about? Does this mean that everytime a bun gets vaccinated he has to be kept in??? Mine has always been done and gone straight out! (Except the very first time when he was 12 weeks etc)

I'm sorry I didn't read the post properly:oops::oops::oops::oops:After the initial vaccination,which takes two weeks to take effect its fine for the buns to go outside as long as their booster is up to date

Oh crumbs! How old is the bun you are talking about? Does this mean that everytime a bun gets vaccinated he has to be kept in??? Mine has always been done and gone straight out! (Except the very first time when he was 12 weeks etc)

Only if it's their first vacc, or if their booster is way overdue. If their booster is done on time, protection is continuous so no need to confine.

Maizey - I didn't read the first post properly either, lol.

Thanks for the replies- sorry for the confusion- I just want to be careful as although he's been vaccinated last year, he's new to me so I wanted to be sure that his boosters would cover him. Also, I know most places recommend 6 month myxi jabs and he's waited just under 12.

So you reckon he'll be ok to try out his new pen then? I'd better get building as it's a pile of metal at the moment! :?

Back