• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Swimming Rabbit

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Can rabbits swim? :shock:

I found this on youtube a long time ago, and people argued about it in the comments section, but I wasn't sure. Can some rabbits swim and not be horribly traumatized?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjxtgRjNok

Also, are there dangers putting a rabbit in a pool full of chlorine?

(Note: I do not plan on trying to get my rabbits to swim. Just a curious thing :lol:)

bunnies can swim and hydrotherepy has been used before like in dogs & cats. However if we had a pool at home I'd personally either cover it, make it inaccessible or at the very least make it very easy to get out of as I'd be worried about a bunny getting exhausted & cold if they fell in. I dare same some possibly love it but I know mine aren't keen on water.

No I don't expect the chlorine is very good for them. I know I feel sick if I swallow too much water & buns groom themselves so would probably ingest quite a bit.

can't imagine chlorine would be very nice if it got in a rabbits eye - its bad enough when we get it in ours! but the rabbit doesn't seem to be stressing out much so perhaps it likes it..... - rabbit probably started off a different colour before the chlorine turned it white tho!!! :D

Most of the swimming videos on you tube are heartbreaking. The rabbits are thrown in and when they finally make it to the side they are pushed back to middle again and again, you ca see the fear in there eyes:cry:. Most animals can actually swim which I guess must be a survival thing? but forcing them is wrong. So in answer to the question id say yes some may enjoy it I guess but it should be their own choice to jump in and they should be able to get back out. I dont feel as though mine are missing out by me not providing them the opportunity to swim :lol:

ETA. Just watched the link and shock horror they dont let her to the side :cry:.

Last edited:
Back