• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eye bulging, is this normal??

I know that rabbits have a third eyelid, and this one looks like it's infected.

I found something by Dana Krempels concerning what looks like a similar issue. She calls it "cherry eye":

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2008/12/rabbit-eye-problem-5.htm

It has a picture, and you can tell me if this looks at all similar. It's technically a prolapse of the Hadrian Gland. Here is a better article on it, with a picture of it in a pit bull (And as they have such short faces, they can have similar issues to lop rabbits with short faces)

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/cherry-eye.html

Not sure if that's the issue, but it's my guess!

According to the articles, it's not an immediate cause for concern as long as the rabbit is pooing and peeing, but it looks like it could be painful. I would get her to a vet's and see what they would prescribe.

It's not unusual for the third eyelids to be a little more prominent and for a rabbit's eyes to bulge a little at times of stress. Their blood pressure increases and as rabbits have a blood filled pocket behind the eye this can lead to changes even in a normal rabbit. However, in her case even at rest her third eyelids appear more prominent than normal and so it is even more exaggerated when stressed. Certainly worth a vet visit as many different health problems could be responsible. Not an emergency if she is otherwise fine but certainly worth getting checked out as soon as you can.

. However, in her case even at rest her third eyelids appear more prominent than normal and so it is even more exaggerated when stressed. Certainly worth a vet visit as many different health problems could be responsible. Not an emergency if she is otherwise fine but certainly worth getting checked out as soon as you can.

Lola's third eye lid is more prominent than normal all the time. I mentioned it to the vets and they didn't seem bothered. Should I be concerned?

Lola's third eye lid is more prominent than normal all the time. I mentioned it to the vets and they didn't seem bothered. Should I be concerned?
If she's been fully examined by the vet and they can't find any cause to be concerned about and she seems otherwise fine then I would just monitor it and go back if it changes or she has any other symptoms. If stable and no obvious underlying problem then I wouldn't worry too much. If she's never had a full exam or has other problems then worth getting her checked over.

She does have lots of other problems unfortunately. When I mentioned her eyes they didn't examine them, just dismissed it as nothing :?

Next time she needs a check up I will push for them to have a proper look

Thank you

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know what "cherry eyes" was until recently. I've contacted other people at the shelter I'm currently volunteering at and we will get a vet's opinion on Coco's eyes.

I'm coming to this very late but my bunny had an op to sort his back teeth last week and the vet said the eyes would return to normal. however, it's 10 days and he's still showing the 'cherry eye' from time to time.
He's totally normal apart from this and eating, drinking and pooing normally.
I'm reluctant to take him back to the vet if he's ok....any thoughts please:?

I'm coming to this very late but my bunny had an op to sort his back teeth last week and the vet said the eyes would return to normal. however, it's 10 days and he's still showing the 'cherry eye' from time to time.
He's totally normal apart from this and eating, drinking and pooing normally.
I'm reluctant to take him back to the vet if he's ok....any thoughts please:?

I would take him back to just get it checked to be on the safe side:)

Back