• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there any rescues in the Medway (ME6) area of Kent?

Tinytoez

Warren Scout
I am asking this question for 2 reasons.
1. I would like to know if it is possible for me to get an older bun locally to me, as my cousin is looking to get a friend for my Honey, and I am leaning towards an older bun, and if I know where to go to she will be more likely to accept an older bun over a baby - yes we would all love a baby but we would be doing this for Honeys benifit, not ours.

2. I have been interested in getting a job with animals for a few years but havent been able to for various reasons, a few weeks ago I even went to a college to find out about a full time animal management course, but cant afford to do it and still work - so the next best thing I can think of is volunteering, and as my local RSPCA wont even think about new people for six months now, I thought why not help out at a bun rescue.
If anyone can help please PM me and ask me whatever you feel necessary I wont be offended - I promise - well sort of :D

Tried them, thats the RSPCA I mentioned, they are 5 mins down the road from me and wouldnt even take my details.

You know I got the same feeling.
I went in there about a month ago and asked about volunteering, and was told their books were full and they werent taking names down till September at the earliest as they had too many names already, she also said that most people dont stay after a few weeks so by then they would know how many people they would have - and also I mentioned birds and she said that volunteers dont get access to the wildlife.
She said they only had 18 full time staff including management, but I would have thought they would have been jumping for the names of older people (Im 28 ) who had more of an idea of what they were getting into rather than kids after something to do during the summer break.

I think I would rather help a small private rescue actually if thats their attitude.

Last edited:
I used to work in Snodland and didn't find the RSPCA too co-operative either! It's a bit of a long shot but you could call Sandhole vets (01634 242502) and see if they have any local rescues that they can give you details for. There were a couple when I was there but it was a little while ago. Worst they can do is say no!

Right now I dont know, its possible, but its not going to be my choice as she wont be living with me, I will have some say, but not the final say.

Jeez I hope this doesnt turn into an RSPCA bashing thread thats the last thing I want.

I know of a few vets around here I could try - I was looking for local as it was easier, but a little bit of travel would be ok.

Oh no dont get me wrong, they do a great job. I just think that the women who work the reception lack some people skills!

I adopted two of my guinea pigs from the RSPCA and i just wanted to take them all home!

You took the words right out of my mouth!! Bless their little cotton sox ;)
Ive never adopted anything from there, Honey was a private rescue.

I just think if I cant adopt them all and take them home, why cant I help the ones that need it elsewhere, that means I still have time for my own babies and dont neglect them but I might just be able to make a small difference to another animals life just by being there and showing it a little care.

Last edited:
Hi

I know when we were looking for local bunny rescues (I'm in ME4) we didn't have much luck either.

We ended up getting Trixie from GBH rescue in Beckenham - fab people but a bit far to go for volunteering I'm afraid :shock:

I rescued two of my bunnies from ARC in Twickenham as there is a lack of rescues in Medway... Saying that, it only took an hour or so to get there....

I worked out you are roughly about 30 miles away from me.

I was really pleased with Honey today, we were cleaning her out so all her doors were open, she came running out of her hutch, ran all around the garden and went back in her hutch again for a lay down, then came out and went all over the place, she even did a few circuits around the outside of her run!!
I think after 2 weeks she is really starting to act like a proper rabbit, so a friend looks like a real possibility for her soon.

Back