• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

phoebes eye

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
I got in from work last night, to see Phoebe sitting with one eye closed :?
when i'd checked on them at 6:30am before i left for work, he seemed happy. When i got in at 3,his eye was closed, but he would open it occasionally to look about then close it again :shock:
he has a scar on the top part of his eye (the half circle bit at the top had a nic in, which is harmless enough and is checked everytime he goes to the vets) so i was thinking maybe its that
I took him out the cage, his tummy felt ok, he looked bright and was very very energetic and was wanting to run around rather than have cuddles
I cleaned his eye up with cooled boiled water and applied a little vaseline around redish bit he had just above the scar
today his eye seems totally fine, he isnt closing it, and its now not red and hes not got any build up of sleep etc its like it never happened :shock:
how strange, any ideas what it could be?
edit: the nic was in his eye when i got him, i didnt cause it

Last edited:
Awh Pheobe :love:
Hope he gets better vicky!
Hopefully some one whos had this sort of thing before will come along :D :D

Im useless - wouldnt have a clue what to do :lol:

Loads of cuddles to him x x x x:love:

I got in from work last night, to see Phoebe sitting with one eye closed :?
when i'd checked on them at 6:30am before i left for work, he seemed happy. When i got in at 3,his eye was closed, but he would open it occasionally to look about then close it again :shock:
he has a scar on the top part of his eye (the half circle bit at the top had a nic in, which is harmless enough and is checked everytime he goes to the vets) so i was thinking maybe its that
I took him out the cage, his tummy felt ok, he looked bright and was very very energetic and was wanting to run around rather than have cuddles
I cleaned his eye up with cooled boiled water and applied a little vaseline around redish bit he had just above the scar
today his eye seems totally fine, he isnt closing it, and its now not red and hes not got any build up of sleep etc its like it never happened :shock:
how strange, any ideas what it could be?
edit: the nic was in his eye when i got him, i didnt cause it

suppose he could have just had something in it and you got it out when you cleaned his eye up. certainly sounds like you did the right thing (i work with human eyes - not quite the same but similar i guess). what you did is the sort of thing i would have recommended to a patient.

in the future, don't use cool water to clean it.

Use Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

it's natural tear drop. Perfectly safe to use for human or animal, you can use it a no. of times a day, it was meant for dry eye, but for cleaning purpose, no biggie.

Back