• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting During Bond......Experienced people HELP!!!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
(both male)Gizmo has attacked Skye twice tonight and im scared of putting Skye back with Gizmo....Do i put them in the car and take them for a little journey and try again or do i call it a night and leave it for a little while?

Help skye is getting chunks of fur out of him and im scared.....:cry:

Last edited:
Is there any way you can set up two nic cages and put them next to each other. Personally I wouldn't risk leaving them together, it sounds as though the bun who was seemingly less dominant is beginning to feel more sure about himself and is finding his feet! If they have had two proper fights tonight I would seperate before a big one breaks out and then you will have little chance of getting them together. You may have to follow a slow bonding process.

Gizmo is the dominant one and the one bullying, Skye is the one doing the grooming and cuddling. They havent drawn blood thank goodness but have been fur pulling.
They are in seperate just now but keep trying to get at each other and are lying down next to each other through the bars of the cage.

I think i will setup another nic cage and give it a go tomorrow night to see how they are.
I just dont want to take a set back and lose the bond they have formed already. They were all lovely dovey this morning!

Unfortunately fur pulling is often part of the bonding process and when I have bonding bunnies that are starting to have a full on go at each other I push them apart but don't seperate them. It can be a long drawn out process and an all nighter but that's the way it goes sometimes - when I was bonding Panda into Lucy's trio I didn't get to bed til 05:00 - you need to give it a go when you have plenty of spare time and can afford to be tired!

Unfortunately fur pulling is often part of the bonding process and when I have bonding bunnies that are starting to have a full on go at each other I push them apart but don't seperate them. It can be a long drawn out process and an all nighter but that's the way it goes sometimes - when I was bonding Panda into Lucy's trio I didn't get to bed til 05:00 - you need to give it a go when you have plenty of spare time and can afford to be tired!

Totally agree with the above. I have my broom I use when bonding and I pull the rabbits apart if they are locked on, I do a slow count to 10 and then release. Sometimes you need to do this a number of times, slowly you notice that the time between these events are further apart.

It is less stressful for buns to do this in one go rather than short bursts.

Oh no! Sorry they have started fighting- hope they start getting on soon! When I bonded two males they had a big fight but after living side by side for a while eventually got on fine. Have you decided to keep them separate for tonight or are you giving it another go?

Gizmo is now home at my bf's house, he wasnt happy and sitting in a huff.
He has been doing smaller poo since wed (not that my bf told me :?) so i think he is in pain and thats why he has been attacking Skye.
Ive given him some metacam until i can get to the vet tomorrow and we are going to leave the bond for a few weeks and wait until they are both healthy to try again (and when i have 2 weeks off so i have all the time it needs)

He seemed so much happier back in his own cage and munched his veg and flopped so i think he was home sick.

We will see what the vet says tomorrow!
Not been the best week :roll:

Last edited:
I agree w/ Chloe. If the fighting is too intense, what I done w/ Bernie and Minnie is that I would separate them. Then I take 1 upstair, closed the gate, and keep the other 1 downstair. Their bonding is always in the afternoon last summer.

I would then separated them until the next day afternoon, and put 1 at 1 corner of the backyard, put the other 1 at another corner of the backyard, and watch them closely.

It took me 9 mth. to bond those 2 monkeys. Although 2 mth. out of 9, the backyard was unavailable due to weed killer spray.

Back