• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jazz's Dental Problems

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Jazz has had dental issues for a while now :( he has had a dental every 4 weeks for the past 2 months and seems to be showing signs of needing another one again soon :cry: he has gone off hay (but not other things) and has started drinking a lot again and eating in a 'wonky' way... he's still a lil piggie though :love: He has an extra peg tooth growing on the front of his bottom insisor which the vet said is really strange so she removed it last time but as you can imagine it has grown back (will find pic in a bit) My question is how many dentals will he need before it starts getting longer between them? I freak out every time he has a GA and cried at the vets last time I was told he needed one :oops: my poor boy, hes only 4 so not an old bun.. :( Off to the vets on tuesday morning so fingers crossed he wont need another but I have a feeling he will only about 4-5 weeks after the last..how much GA can his little body take? :cry:

aww poor jazz what dental problems does he have? iv got a dental bunny and he just has hes molars cut down twice a year, not as often as jazz!

My bun Bernie is in a similar situation, for simply teeth sanding/trimming down, we put Bernie under a deep sedation, complete some part of the sanding. Then for the remaining of the operation, we put him under an "Ultra Short" GA, and finish off the rest.

that way, we reduced the total amt. of time for Bernie to be under a GA.

Also, w/ Jazzy, as soon as the dental is done, you need to get her to eat a lot of hay stem. A bun's diet should be compose of 90% hay. Leaves, and seed head is too soft, get her the stem.

If she doesn't eat the stem, hold a few piece of stem in front of her mouth, she will get annoy by it and bite it, and some will be eaten by her.

My question is how many dentals will he need before it starts getting longer between them?

I've found with my dental buns (only had two) that the more dentals they have the more often they need them. Greg went from 4 months between dentals to 2 weeks :shock: He was only 18 months old. My current dental bun Bugs had a dental in october last year and another about 6/7 weeks ago. But he stopped breathing during his dental :? :( So i'm very worried about him having another one.

Best thing is to talk to your vet about it. But trying to establish a good hay diet should help :)

Back