• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much pellets?

kerry-123

Mama Doe
should you give your bun a day? A handful in the morning and at night again? Just wondering because Scooch is being weaned onto them right now so she isn't getting as much as what she regularly would.

Buns under 5 months should have unlimited pellets with plenty of hay and fresh veg fed alongside and buns over 5 months (well this is what I do for pepsi) give veg and hay in the morning and a plenty of hay with a handful of pellets at night time or you could do it the other way round giving the pellets and hay in the morning and the veg and hay at night time. Hope this helps!:D x

Buns under 5 months should have unlimited pellets with plenty of hay and fresh veg fed alongside and buns over 5 months (well this is what I do for pepsi) give veg and hay in the morning and a plenty of hay with a handful of pellets at night time or you could do it the other way round giving the pellets and hay in the morning and the veg and hay at night time. Hope this helps!:D x

Thanks it does help ;)

Buns only need about an egg cup of pellets each a day, they should eat at least their body size in hay each day and then some vegetables. In the wild rabbits do not get pellets and these are not essential for their survival as they only get grass / hay / veg and roots. Giving too much pellets at an early age introduces bad habbits at an early age and increases the risk of dental and gut problems for the future.

Traditionally some people in the past viewed that young rabbits should be fed unlimited pellets as they are growing however this often results in rabbits in later life not eating as much hay as they need to which help prevent problems for the future. Like many traditional practices which have been carried out over the years, experience has now shown that there are many better methods in many aspects of rabbit care. These include neutering, vaccination, using pelleted foods, restricting pellets, not having rabbits and guinea pigs together ... the list can go on.

Cheryl from Sprouston Rescue a few years ago started a thread about this and explains it better than I have http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88586&highlight=unlimited

My two always hoover up hay!! Cookie is under 5 months and has unlimited pellets alongside plenty of hay and fresh veg and I always make sure he eats his hay and veg which he always does however if he didnt I would definately reduce his pellets Ive never had a problem with my bunnies not eating hay and have always given them all the pellets they want up until they are five months. I am keeping an eye on him though but when I go down every morning theres no hay left so he is definately eating well! Hes coming up to 16 weeks so I am going to slowly start reducing his pellet intake until he is only having them at night like I do with pepsi!

Is Scooch still feeding her babies?
If so its not a good idea to change her diet in any way

I would have advised differently if the poster had mentioned that Scooch had recently had babies. If this is the case I would also not advise to change the diet unless it is absolutaly unavoidable and then to change everything very slowly over at least a period of about 4 weeks.

I would have advised differently if the poster had mentioned that Scooch had recently had babies. If this is the case I would also not advise to change the diet unless it is absolutaly unavoidable and then to change everything very slowly over at least a period of about 4 weeks.

Nah the kits are eating now I had to swap her food because the supa wasn't agreeing with her (runny poo's) she was also selective eating

Back