• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Typical- back from vets

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
After sitting with Snowdrop all afternoon trying to tempt her with various veg to no avail I was just getting ready to go to the vets.

Turned my back for a min and she starts eating a pile of hay!

She has only had a bit though so think im gonna nip her down anyways.

Last edited:
We are back from the vets. Vet had a good feel of her tummy and said she couldnt feel any sort of blockage and she doesnt feel bloated. She says it is more then likely stress related stasis. She had a metaclop jab and it says on my bill colvasone but i thought it was metacam she was given.if she has been given Colvasone is this ok? She is having a good hop round the kitchen now so seems ok and since being back has already nibbled a fenugreek crunchie and eaten some naturals herbal garden and dandelion delight!

We have been told to syringe feed her critical care every few hours if she continues to not eat and take her back in the morning for some more metaclop. She also has some ansteprin (sp) to line her stomach.

I believe Colvasone is found in Dexamethasone which is a steroid, commonly used as an anti-inflammatory.

I wonder why the Vet gave a steroid :?
Rabbits are very steroid sensitive and a steroid can significantly lower Buns immune system. Thats why non steroidal anti-inflammatories, eg Metacam are preferable to use for Rabbits.
If you have Metacam at home please do not administer it as it should not be used with steroids.

I do have metacam at home but wasnt going to administer it. I am not sure whether she has had metacam and the vets put the wrong thing on the bill, she def said metacam to me.

She is eating a few pellets at the min- I have given them A&P instead of Excell as Strawberry doesnt like them as much so its giving her time to eat them before he gobbles them all! She is eating hay again as well. I wont syringe feed her if she continues as she is as i dont want to stress her anymore.

Oh she also told me to give her some Septrin which i have at home. Think it is more of a precaution really. Does she need it?

Oh she also told me to give her some Septrin which i have at home. Think it is more of a precaution really. Does she need it?

If she had Colvasone then I'd say 'yes' but you really need to establish exactly what meds she has had and why.
Its good to hear that she is eating :)

Thanks. I will give her the septrin tonight. I am going back at 10.30 tomorrow so will ask then whether it was metacam she was given or Colvasone. Should I expect for her to be given some more pain relief tomorrow or just another metaclop injection? It was 0.4ml of colvasone she had.

Back