• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit lead and harness

Lucymum

New Kit
Hi there, our rex rabbit Smokey still hates to be picked up, we had him neutered 3 weeks ago in the hope his temperment would calm a little but if anything he seems even more bullish.
We have today bought him a lead and harness to allow our daughter to be able to interact with him a little more rather than just through his
hutch and he seems happy enough with the harness - my question is can we leave the harness on at all times to then allow us to clip the lead on to allow him access to the garden? (unfortunatley garden is not bunny proof)

Any advice greatly received
X

I wouldn't, seems a bit risky as it could get caught on something and injure your rabbit.

A rabbit must never be left with a harness unattended.
He can get stuck in things as mentioned. Its better to just watch him while he wears it or get him a run.

I've left it on twice by accident. My first rabbit thumper, chewed through it. And my current rabbit, Harley just nibbled a bit of it. So if its an expensive harness, and you dont want to strangle your rabbits then dont leave it on.

No, your rabbit could get seriously hurt. Buy him a large run to play in, I have one for my rabbits that I can sit in it with them so I'm sure your daughter could do that and gradually build up the trust with him :)

yeah agree that they can be very useful - Lola has one on in the car cause she hates the carriers but i would never leave it on her!! Little legs could get caught or what would worry me more would be if the rabbit jumped and got hooked on somethign??

Back