• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits diagnosed with full stasis-experience with enema asked...

Clicquot

Warren Scout
Anyone experience in this?
No poing since wednesday-evening.
Vet (good one) diagnosed complete stasis.
But...rabbit continues eating, but nothing is leaving the body...

Any ideas on this?

Last edited:
It sounds like your rabbit has a blockage,which can be potentially fatal.I would take your bunny back to the vets and have an x ray done ASAP

I agree with Maizey....My boy Blackie died of a blockage so i suggest taking bun back to vet and ask for an X-ray to be done.....Has the vet felt his tummy?

Fingers crossed for your bun, hope the x-ray goes ok and they can fix him up.

Buns with blockages don't usually poo - they can't because of the blockage.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

any news ? I send lots of vibes for your little bunny... mine had stasis with no blockage for a week and it took her 3 weeks of injections, force feeding, rehydrating etc to recover in hospital because she hardly ate, did not drink and did not poo.. just scarce tiny grains looking like pepper grains.... sometimes it takes a long time to get things back straight to normal..

Thanks Martine! That gives some hope...

Luckily no blockage on the x-ray... but an x-ray is not 100% sure offcourse...
Wil let you know more once I have news!

(it's not my rabbit, but from a friend of mine)

Im so glad that a blockage hasnt been found.Sending massive recovery vibes your bunnies way:wave::wave::wave::wave:

We've had this happen twice with two of our buns and we never found out what caused it :roll: We had no poops at all for nearly a week but buns where still eating, playing, being perfectly normal:shock:

We were back and forth to the vets, had x-rays done etc but the only thing that got them pooping again was mixing Recovery with Liquid Paraffin and syringe feeding them that, within a couple of days the poops started.

Meant to say that the buns where not in stasis at the same time - but on different occasions.

Graham had the same problem. He has eating fine but wasnt pooing. Sadly he passed away just after the GA. The did an xray and ultra sound but neither showed anything.

I am pleased there is no blockage because this is really dangerous for rabbits, I hope he will be given medicine to boost the guts to evacuate. My Chloé when she started pooing again, her caecum emptied itself for 3 days, it means that her caecotrophs just evacuated with the whole lot, now she is OK but it takes time depending on the origin of the stasis and sometimes it's a mystery when blood tests, imagery, everything is ok..

Here is an interesting medical article on stasis in rabbits:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
After my rabbit was neutered, he would still eat hay and lots of romaine lettuce, but nothing came out until the following night. I would do my best to keep bun bun active and moving and eating whatever he will take.

Still no pooing... and still eating hay like mad...

The x-ray showed lots of food in stumachand upper intestines, no gas.
He got medication to stimulate upper and lower intestine...

I just contacted Esther from medirabbit to ask her wether she has any experience with the method that Dana describes about fluids in the anus. I knew the article but never consciousnesly read that part apparently...

He just stopped eating as well...

Nothing more we can do now... he has pain-medication, gets his massages, liquids en gut-stimulant... just hope that everything gets moving...

He really needs to have some fluid therapy now-preferably IV.
His gut contents will rapidly dehydrate and may cause an obstruction even if there wasn't one in the first place.

What gut motility meds is he having?

If his bowel is impacted has your Vet considered an enema?

This is from Dana Krempels site

D. Enema.

It may be helpful to administer an enema of warm, clean water mixed with a very small bit of unscented, laxative grade mineral oil. The addition of epsom salts to the enema liquid (at a rate of about 1 tablespoon per 30-40 cc's of water) may help draw fluid from surrounding tissues into the intestine, helping hydrate impacted matter. If you use epsom salts, however, you must be certain that the bunny is generally well hydrated with subcutaneous Lactated Ringer Solution so the reservoir of fluids in the bunny's body will not be depleted.

Before you attempt to perform an enema on your rabbit, please ask your veterinarian to instruct you in this process during a regular office visit. Don't wait for an emergency to learn how to do this. If you cannot reach your vet when your bunny is in stasis, you will be out of luck!

We administer the enema with a pediatric rubber ear bulb/syringe. A 5 lb rabbit can safely be given 10-15 cc's of liquid enema. Mix the water and oil well. Place the bunny on her back, well supported so she doesn't kick. Gently insert the lubricated tip of the syringe into the anus, no deeper than 1/2 - 3/4 inch. (Note: if you're not sure which orifice is the right one, the anus is the one that winks back at you when touched.) Be gentle. NEVER FORCE ANYTHING! Slowly empty the bulb and let the bunny remain on her back for at least 30 seconds, to allow the liquid to travel up the tract a bit. When you allow the bunny to flip back into normal position, gently lift her hindquarters a couple of inches (firmly supporting the spine!) so that the liquid travels up the GI tract. You may need to gently hold the anus closed to avoid a fountain.

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT A CATHETER BE USED TO DELIVER AN ENEMA. The rabbit's lower GI tract is extremely delicate and fragile, and it is distressingly easy to perforate the rectum or small intestine, with disatrous results. The ear syringe works well, and is far safer than inserting a catheter deep into the lower GI tract.

An enema delivers liquid to the source. It can help hydrate hardened, dehydrated fecal matter in the lower GI, even when subcutaneously administered fluids don't seem to help. The very presence of the warm liquid also seems to stimulate the muscles of the lower GI tract.

Full article here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
He had an IV yesterday and just got one again now, just got text that he started licking her hand afterwards, which is great cause he ran away from her since yesterday!

An enema wouldn't really solve anything we think, since that helps only if the lower part of the gut is concerned. From the x-ray we know it is mostly the stumach and upper intestine where nothing is moving.
Also esther said that this is mostly something from the past... but would like to hear experiences, since this was new to me...

He is having Cisaral (for lower) and primperan (for upper) but we are discussing stopping this medication because of the risk of rupture of the pylorus.

Back