• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Supreme Science recovery - help please!

swamp-rabbit

Young Bun
Hi, had to take my rabbit to vet yesterday and he had to have his teeth filed, the vet gave me 'supreme science recovery' sachets to syringe feed him if he was not eating by today. i have now gone to make up the pouches where vet told me instructions would be on the back of the sachets, but they are not. The sachets say to look on their website www.supremeprofessional.com for instructions, but the website does not seem to exist. i have google searched the company and i can only find q&a's about it and nothing about how to use the stuff.
anyone ever had to use it before? anyone know how to make it up? i would ask vets, but they are closed as it is Bank holiday.

Last edited:
This may help?
http://www.russelrabbit.com/science_recovery.php

I have only ever used oxbow critical care but it must be similar I would have thought. one part critical care to 2 parts warm water. You can adjust the mix a little either way to make it easier to draw into the syringe. 15g of dry mix per 1kg of body weight.

There is an advice phone number under advice on that website although may be closed today.

Last edited:
Hi, had to take my rabbit to vet yesterday and he had to have his teeth filed, the vet gave me 'supreme science recovery' sachets to syringe feed him if he was not eating by today. i have now gone to make up the pouches where vet told me instructions would be on the back of the sachets, but they are not. The sachets say to look on their website www.supremeprofessional.com for instructions, but the website does not seem to exist. i have google searched the company and i can only find q&a's about it and nothing about how to use the stuff.
anyone ever had to use it before? anyone know how to make it up? i would ask vets, but they are closed as it is Bank holiday.

Off the top of my head i think it is 70ml of water mixed with 1 sachet. However I find it easier just to make up a smaller amount of the powder and add enough water to make it a porridgy, syringable consistancy :)

I have used it and made it to a "watery" consistency as I had no instructions. It needs to be able to get out of the syring so does need to be reasonably watery.

Suggest that you go to supermarket and get lots of kale, spinach, spring greens, herbs to tempt. Also try a little grated carrot.

Hope he starts to feel a bit better soon.

When I used it I mixed half of one sachet will cooled boiled water until the mixture was able to flow from the syringe. I found that the syringe I was given too small so needed to use a large one.

Mix each sachet with 70mls of water. I was given this last night for Lola, but ti was not the easiest thing to feed, it was far too thick for the syringe and blocked it.

I was told to give Lola who weighs 1.9kgs 15mls per hour.

Earl really does not like this much, have watered it down quite a lot and he takes it easier than when it is gooey, but having to try and give him more to make up for the watering down. he still seems to be pushing the thicker bits out! Luckily the vet i saw gave me a syringe that has not got a smaller end to it and is just cylindracle (about 5mm diameter - excuse my spelling), so it doesnt get blocked up - maybe try and got hold of one of these if yours keep getting bloked.
i have managed to encourage him to eat grass, but he doesnt eat much and wont eat anything else. very worried about him, but at least he is getting some nutrients and water, will contact vet if no improvement tomorrow.

anyone got any other tricks to encourage eating? :cry::roll:

looks like he tried a bit of carrot that i had grated up, so he has started eating again, will pick him some dandylions since he goes mad for them, hoping that will help!

I soaked my dandelions in water so they got some water on the dandelions and also made some dandelion tea by soaking the dandelions in hot water and leaving it to cool and syringe feeding that.

Keep us posted x x

Hope Earl feels better soon.
Dandelions are a good bet to tempt them to feed again.......have you tried parsley/mint other herbs? also grass is yummy. When my audrey is feeling under the weather plantain always gets her back to eating...also perhaps you could try cucumber..

Good luck

xxx

Forgot about basil! When Lola was ill the other day she was tempted with basil! Nice smelly herbs!

he did have a bit of grass yesterday, but he is not too bothered by that at the moment either. think he is just a bit sore from the tooth filing, and i am hoping he will start to eat more throughout today/tomorrow. just worrying in case he doesnt start to eat properly and need him to see a vet since they are all closed up over easter! just have to take him to bunny a&e if things dont start improving and he takes a down-turn.

Bunnies are always a worry over bank holidays. Ive just given Daisy some Science Recovery as her poos were getting so tiny again, she is on long term antibiotics. She will eat it mixed quite thickly and off a spoon. She jumps all over me to eat it.

If yours doesn't like it, it might be the syringe thats putting him off. This is necessary if a bunny has stopped eating totally and you need to get something down them. Try him with a bit on a spoon? Alternatively, soften some pellets with warm water (letting it then cool), mash them up a bit and see if he will eat these.

Have they given you any pain relief?

Hoping he starts to eat more soon.

Bunnies are always a worry over bank holidays. Ive just given Daisy some Science Recovery as her poos were getting so tiny again, she is on long term antibiotics. She will eat it mixed quite thickly and off a spoon. She jumps all over me to eat it.

If yours doesn't like it, it might be the syringe thats putting him off. This is necessary if a bunny has stopped eating totally and you need to get something down them. Try him with a bit on a spoon? Alternatively, soften some pellets with warm water (letting it then cool), mash them up a bit and see if he will eat these.

Have they given you any pain relief?

Hoping he starts to eat more soon.

the vets did not give me anything apart from the science recovery. rang emergency vets and they have said that i can take him to get the pain relief if need be. am debating it now. wish rabbits could talk so they could tell us what they need/want. i am trying lots of soft food as it seems to be a winner with him at the moment.
i will defiantely give your ideas a go!

He sounds as if he is eating, which is good.

If you have already seen your vet and had a procedure, would the emergency vet not write you up for some metacam for you to have (should you need it)without you taking the bunny back in?

Perhaps someone whose bunny has had dental procedures, can advise whether they are given metacam routinely after surgery. Anyone please.....

Back