• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Somthing's Not Right With Lucy

aussiebun

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

Something's not right with my Lucygirl. Her little nose is a bit red, which it isn't normally and her ears are much pinker (a tinge of purple maybe) than what's normal for her. Her poos are lighter than normal.

She seems bright, and all that but something isn't quite right.

The emergency vet basically told me not to bother bringing her in, they don't know much about rabbits so I'm loathe to take her there.

Will she be ok until I can get to our vet tommorrow morning? Is there something I should be looking for??

I've put down a water bowl as well as her bottle (she won't normally drink out of a bowl but at least it's there if she needs it) and she has plenty of hay and some fresh veg. She's in my bedroom so it's nice and quiet.

Jane - are you there? What do you think?

Do Lucy's ears feel hotter than normal?She could have an infection.Sending speedy recovery vibes her way

I am here now!!

I have to say my first thought is the possibility of Myxi

If she were very febrile I doubt she'd be eating or bright.

Hopefully it is a minor infection that a course of antibiotics will resolve.

Please keep us updated.

Really?? Myxi?? Holy cow.

I was worried about VHD but she was vacc over a month ago so it can't be that. The boys are both vacc too, phew! They seem perfectly fine.

She has eaten a soup bowl of vegies since I put them there this morning (phew!), can't see that she's drunk too much but I wet all the veg and put some cucumber in with it so she'll be getting fluid that way anyway.

Her ears do feel warm, but not in an ear infection way, more a mild feverish way if that makes sense.

As far as I know she's not eaten anything out of the ordinary, her diet has been hay (lots) and fresh veg. Her tum doesn't feel hard or tight so that's good.

She seems ok at the moment, though a little quieter than is normal for her. I am taking her to my vet first thing tommorrow - I just know something's not right with her, I don't know what it is, but something is definitely off, I can feel it :(.

Re Rog & Barney, they've not had any contact with her and I've closed the door to their room. I'm being very particular with feeding them first and not going near them after I've been with Lucy until after I've changed my clothes and thoroughly washed my hands.

We'll have an early night tonight, she sleeps in my bedroom so I'll go to bed early to be near her in case she needs anything.

Will let you know how we go at the vets.

xx

Really?? Myxi?? Holy cow.

I was worried about VHD but she was vacc over a month ago so it can't be that. The boys are both vacc too, phew! They seem perfectly fine.

She has eaten a soup bowl of vegies since I put them there this morning (phew!), can't see that she's drunk too much but I wet all the veg and put some cucumber in with it so she'll be getting fluid that way anyway.

Her ears do feel warm, but not in an ear infection way, more a mild feverish way if that makes sense.

As far as I know she's not eaten anything out of the ordinary, her diet has been hay (lots) and fresh veg. Her tum doesn't feel hard or tight so that's good.

She seems ok at the moment, though a little quieter than is normal for her. I am taking her to my vet first thing tommorrow - I just know something's not right with her, I don't know what it is, but something is definitely off, I can feel it :(.

Re Rog & Barney, they've not had any contact with her and I've closed the door to their room. I'm being very particular with feeding them first and not going near them after I've been with Lucy until after I've changed my clothes and thoroughly washed my hands.

We'll have an early night tonight, she sleeps in my bedroom so I'll go to bed early to be near her in case she needs anything.

Will let you know how we go at the vets.

xx

Sending lots of vibes for little Lucy

xx

Poor Lucy, she is so lovely :)

I agree it could be an infection of some sort.

Do you have any other animals such as a cat or anything wild that could possibly have bitten her? I'm not suggesting this is the case but I know my Bessie had old puncture wounds which later caused a massive infection :( It does seem to me that blind bunnies that cope well with their disability are quite curious and will go up to cats or other animals to investigate unaware that they could be a potential danger :?

Thanks Jane, I'm worried for my girlie :(

Liz, I have dogs, no cats though and even the neighbours cats can't get to the buns as they're inside. The dogs are always supervised with the buns so if anything happened on that score I'd know. They wouldn't hurt them. My collie plays nurse to them, bless him :love:

Ok, well we're off to bed now. Not that I'll be getting much sleep though.

Thanks Jane, I'm worried for my girlie :(

Liz, I have dogs, no cats though and even the neighbours cats can't get to the buns as they're inside. The dogs are always supervised with the buns so if anything happened on that score I'd know. They wouldn't hurt them. My collie plays nurse to them, bless him :love:

Ok, well we're off to bed now. Not that I'll be getting much sleep though.

Night AB, please let us have an update as soon as you can

xx

Well, little Lucy is still the same this morning though she did have a good night's rest I think - and she ate a little more veg. I'm concerned that she doesn't appear to have weed at all at least since around 11am yesterday when I replaced her litter box and not drunk anything either.

We're seeing the vet at 10am so I'll let you know how we go.

I'm thinking something might be up with her waterworks.

We're back from the vet. He thinks she has a bladder infection. Her temp is up a bit, which makes sense as she's fighting an infection :( poor little darling. She's not been weeing in her litter tray because she's done it all in her little snugglebox - she couldn't make it to the tray, poor little vegemite.

She's on anti b's to cover her until Tuesday morning when the vet wants to see her again to get a sample and test to make sure the anti b's are the right ones for this infection and that there's no crystals etc. Because of the public holidays he can't get her urine properly tested until then as none of the labs are open. All he could do today was the dip test which showed that something's going on. At least she's covered in the meantime.

She didn't need a gut stimulant as she has started eating again and her belly felt normal so that's good. She had a pain relief injection though, and should feel a lot better by tonight, when the anti b injection will have kicked in. We've got enough baytril to get us through to Tues am.

We're in a bit of a catch 22 with re to her veg - we don't want too much calcium as that will irritate the infection but that's all she will eat at the moment, so if we cut out her veg she may stop eating all together and then we get other problems.

Vet said to maintain the status quo until Tues when we'll run the tests and know more and we'll go from there. He said try to cut back a bit on the veg if at all poss but if it's all she'll eat to keep feeding them to her. As she's covered with anti b's in the meantime she should be fine. They're open again for a couple of hours on Monday morning and he gave me his home no. in case I'm worried before then.

So, I think all bases are covered for Lucy.

She's back in my room now, in her snugglebox - complete with fresh linen if you don't mind, lol, and is having a little snooze. I think the trip to the vet stressed her a little so she's very tired.

I'm off to do the grocery shopping now and I'll get some blackcurrant and cranberry juice to pop in her water - that may tempt her to drink.

Sorry this was so long, I'm so relieved it's not something much more serious that I can't shut up!

xx

I'm so glad that poor Lucy doesn't have anything like Myxi. That would've been awful. :( Hope she's feeling better fast with pain meds and antibiotics. :)

Lots of vibes!

I'm so glad Lucy hasn't got the dreaded Mxyo.She still must be uncomfortable due to her bladder infection.Sending speedy recovery vibes her way:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Ouch poor Lucy :cry:
Hopefully she will feel much better very soon.
I am so relieved that it was not the dreaded Myxo

xx

Me too!! I asked the vet specifically, lol. He said myxo is not common in domestic buns in the metro area here, but they've had cases of VHD. My buns are all vaccinated though so that's not a concern for us.

She's still pretty quiet but it's only late afternoon here. She's started to eat some hay which is wonderful so it looks like the injections are starting to work.

Another early night for us tonight I think!

Thankyou so much to everyone for caring about my little Lucy, she is a very sweet little bun and she send lots of nose wiggles to you all.

xx

Back