• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I thought I had lost Rosie

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
I went into the shed to give meds to the rabbits that need it every morning, and couldn't find Rosie to give her hers. There are nine in that group so I had to count several times to be sure she wasn't there, especially as three of them are very similiarly coloured harlequins, and there are three shelves for them to jump onto or hide underneath. She wasn't there, and she hadn't slipped past me into the run. I knew she had been there the orevious morning and she hadn't got locked out in the run the night before as I checked after I closed the shed. I told my mum and she said she saw her down the burrow the group have been digging the previous day.'But its blocked up' I replied. 'I didn't block it' she said. So i went to the burrow and started digging. about an inch under the surface were Rosie's back feet. I tried to pull her out but she was wedged. So I had to enlarge the hole. She didn't seem to be moving:cry: :cry:Talk about scaring me to death:?
When I got her out she shook herself and hopped off perfectly well. Luckily the burrow opened out past the point she got wedged in and there was even an air hole leading up into the run next door. Rosie has weakened back legs from E.C. and is on steroids for it and so couldn't manoevre herself out of her predicament. To top it off somebun had come up behind her and buried her, and I know it must have been Poppet, the little sweetheart off our Christmas cards. She is the one who had dug the burrow and built a nest in it as she isn't spayed due to her snuffles being so bad. She and Rosie are arch enemies (they can only live together as Rosie has no front teeth and so can't hurt Poppet or the others she bosses about) and I think Poppet took the oportunity to get rid of her:shock::shock:

I didn't notice Rosie was missing the night before as they are always the last shed I close up as they have an enormous plate of grated veg every night as there are 4 dental buns in there who can't bite and it is always the last job to do outside. It was nearly dark when I gave it to them, and I just put it through the hatch and then shut it, just checking no one was left outside, or at least outside in view. Since then I make sure to count them all:?

aww bless her !!! ... at least you found her and got her out safe and sound ;) must of been a scary thing tho my heart would of been going ten to the dozen ! Hope she dont do it again and learnt from that :wave:

Back