• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

smoking and rabbits?

ok, so I'm worried about this, its probably silly but :oops: I live with a house bunny and my 2 flat mates and we all smoke :oops: we are all really really trying to stop but we are useless :( Anyway, what worries me is i know rabbits are prone to respiratory infections :(

We never ever smoke around her, we smoke in another room, but I know that you shouldnt do that if you have kids because the smoke lingers. In fact when i leave my room and go into the hallway, where she has her cage and spends about 80% of her time, I can smell smoke :(

I would never do that if we had a chld here, should I be worried about my bun?

i would get the smokers to open a window when they smoke. my oh is not allowed anywhere near the bunnies when he smokes and if he has pals around i make a huge point of opening all the windows and coughing loudly :evil:

the wondows are open 24/7 and we all try and smoke near the windows. I'm still stressing because if i can SMELL it the bunny must be able to :( and i'm really worried its going to affect her :(

the smell of fags does linger even once the smoke has gone.. if you cant see the clouds where she is while your smoking then she should be ok i would of thought....theres a brilliant thing you can buy that stes mom says clears the smoke away in her house (4 smokers all chuffing away together)

http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/search/?search=goodsphere

it might help ease your mind :)

I Google'd it briefly a few months back (when I was annoyed the in-laws were smoking heavily in the house and around our housebun) and the general jist was second hand smoke is bad for pets. However, the articles I looked at had no concrete scientific proof that it was bad for animals so unfortunately I can't prove it's definitly bad, it was just handy for me to get the in-laws to smoke outside :wave:

Smoke does linger though. When I used to visit my husband (then-boyfriend) living at his parents, he has never smoked and no smoking happened in his room but the room still stunk of stale smoke. He couldn't smell it and never noticed, but that was because he was used to it. As a non-smoker I could smell it the moment I walked in the house :?

Last edited:
Passive smoking is bad for humans and animals alike.

My brother lives with us and he's a smoker. I won't let him smoke inside, he has to go outside. I don't care how hot or cold it is out there, if he wants to smoke he goes outside. End of story.

Passive smoking is bad for humans and animals alike.
My brother lives with us and he's a smoker. I won't let him smoke inside, he has to go outside. I don't care how hot or cold it is out there, if he wants to smoke he goes outside. End of story.

Well said AB :thumb:

My friends dog DIED as a result of passive smoking
I would not rehome a House Rabbit to anyone who smoked indoors EVER

I'll hold my hands up in shame......I am a stinky smoker.
I only smoke outside because I HATE the smell of smoke in the house.
I used to have an umbrella next to the back door but someone gave it the appearance of a collender :roll:
The thought of my animals suffering because of my bad habit horrifies me and I've been know to put cigarettes out in my friends drinks if they light up in the house.

Is there any way you could smoke outside? I am a smoker with a housebun but i HATE the smell of smoke (ironically) so i always smoke outside. I used to smoke in my student flat when i lived on the 8th floor and i had hamsters and ended up taking them home cause it wasn't fair on them. I'm attempting yet another quit in 2 days - fancy joining me?

My mum and dad smoke in the house but keep it confined to the backdoor.
I keep the room doors closed and have the window open slightly in each room.
My room and the room with Millie and Thumper dont smell like smoke so i hope it doesnt effect the bunnies!

My mum and dad have tablets from the doctors to help stop smoking so hopefully they will!

No human or animal should be exposed to second hand smoke. I smoked around my cat when I was younger - he died aged seven with a huge kidney tumour. Not on his lungs, but no-one can tell me that I shouldn't hold myself at least partly responsible - we know what's in that smoke. The guilt is with me every single day.

I feel there is no excuse for not smoking outside. My daughter and son both smoke and when they visit, I make them go out the back to smoke, no way I am having smoke around my animals :evil: I used to smoke, gave up in March 2008 and I went outside to smoke too.

If you start going outside to smoke and your flat mates too, you will actually find you will smoke less, your home won't stink AND your bunny will be better off for it too.

the wondows are open 24/7 and we all try and smoke near the windows. I'm still stressing because if i can SMELL it the bunny must be able to :( and i'm really worried its going to affect her :(

Make then stand outside on the doorstep. If it's cold or wet, it might help them cut down. I can send my dog round who will sneeze her head off if a cigarette is lit in the house and run away in horror if she sees you get one out of the packet. :lol: Good job I've never smoked, but it is a bit embarrassing outside when I have to explain why my dog is cringeing and hiding behind me as they try to pet her with a fag hanging out of their mouth.

Make then stand outside on the doorstep. If it's cold or wet, it might help them cut down. I can send my dog round who will sneeze her head off if a cigarette is lit in the house and run away in horror if she sees you get one out of the packet. :lol: Good job I've never smoked, but it is a bit embarrassing outside when I have to explain why my dog is cringeing and hiding behind me as they try to pet her with a fag hanging out of their mouth.

oh oh oh oh thats so sweet :love::love::love:

Back