• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on getting a friend for Honey

Tinytoez

Warren Scout
Hi all
I went to see my girlie tonight, she jumped out of Katies arms and into mine, she is starting to run about a bit, but in general is just sitting in one place and not doing much.
Katies mum mentioned to me about getting another bunny to maybe teach her what being a bunny is all about, but I would like some advice really if this is a good idea.
They do have another hutch, even though it is smaller than Honeys', they have lots of space, and I may be able to get another run, I am well aware that just because another bunny is brought to bond with her doesnt mean it will, and I dont know how she will take it after all that shes been through, but at the same time if it will improve her life after the rough time shes had, Im all for it. It was mentioned it might be easier to bond a baby than a fully grown rabbit but I dont know.

Heres the link to her story
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173848

Advice please

I would definitely say that getting her a friend would truly spice up her life! I would recommend a neutered male bun.

Do you know if she has been spayed or do you have plans to have it done?

Also, I don't think babies are necessarily a good option. Adult bunnies can sometimes not have the patience for a baby bun, especially when they turn teenager and eat everything ever. :shock: Getting a rescue bun would be a good way to ensure that it's a healthy rabbit, and you could also get a good feel for personality and how it would match up with Honey's. They could probably help you with bonding as well.

I would try to stay near her age and size, although I have seen some quite interesting, yet completely successful, couples!

Two bunnies are just so much fun. :love:

I agree, two bunnies are better than one!! :D Charlie was miserable when he was on his own, and I really worried about him, but he is a changed bunny now he has a girlfriend.

I would make sure Honey is neutered, and if not get her neutered, then look for a rescue bun about the same size age etc.

I would also make sure that you have enough space for them. Recommended RSPCA sizes are 6ftx2ftx2ft for the hutch and as big a run as you can have, but at least 6ftx4ft (not sure on this one, Ive seen 8ftx4ft quoted recently)

I would consider getting a slightly more mature bunny who is bothe neutered and old enough to know what character you will be getting.

If you get a confident rabbit this may bring out the positive behaviour from your rabbit.

I would suggest going to a rescue and getting their help with bonding that way you will not end up with 2 single buns.

I was told Honey has been neutered, but I was also told shes 5 years old, and I know thats not the case, its really hard to even try looking for a scar through all of her fur, but as I dont have a history on her thats all I can do because I certainly dont want to have to put her under any un necessary GA if shes had it done already, but something tells me they didnt take care of her any other way, so why would they spay her?

The other thing I wanted to know was, what would be a good time to do this, as we have just had her nearly 2 weeks, and she has a bit of a lump on her side, so do I wait for her to settle down first or what would be best?

This is both spaying and getting another bun.

Is it really a good idea to get a rescue bun, to put with a rescue bun that already has problems of her own?

Last edited:
I'd get the lump checked asap, and if possible get her spayed at the same time. Then give her hormones 6 weeks to settle before getting her a friend.

Rescue buns are the perfect addition to any household. My 2 boys are both beautiful and have been absolute dreams to integrate into the family.

You won't have any problems with a rescue bun.

Good luck!

rabbit are social creature. They lives longer w/ a companion. I would highly recommend give a rescue bun from 1 of the fellow members here running a rescue who knows a good personality a male neuter bun and bond them together

The lump was checked by the vet when she had her Myxo jab, he said it could be a mamory tumour or a cyst, and I had to keep an eye on it, and if it changed in appearance then I had to take her back for surgery.
How can a vet check if shes been spayed, because I was told she had been?

Are there any rescues near me?

Back