• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it illegal to send medication by post?

floptastic

Warren Scout
I live miles away from the vet (about 90mile round trip) and I'm sure she told me it was possible to send me a repeat prescription for heart meds for my Harlie. But I phoned today and the receptionist told me that it was illegal to send the medication in the post. I've never heard this before. Is this correct? :?

It can't be illegal, because you can get a paper prescription from your vet and use it to order medication over the internet :? (assuming you're in the UK!)

you can get the prescription and order medication online which would be just the same as getting it sent from the vets so i think the receptionist is wrong

I buy meds online so no it's not.

Hubby works for royal mail and he says its fine but it must be labelled on the outside that it is medication but does not have to specify what medicines it is :):wave:

I thought it was a bit strange at the time. But she said it in such a way I actually said "sorry I didn't know that!". They're closed over easter and won't open now t'ill tuesday. Seeing as I'd be going all that way to pick up the medication I booked an appointment to see the vet on tuesday! So I will mention it to her. :?

Was she perhaps confused? She may have thought you were asking them to prescribe and send you medication through the post without having seen the bun?

This was a repeat prescription for fortekor. I phoned about getting a repeat prescription, the receptionist said she would ask the vet and phone back. She rang back a few hours later confirming the prescription and that I could collect. I asked whether they could send it to me as I thought vet said this was possible to which she said it was illegal to send it by post :shock: :?

Back