• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First rabbit checklist

isla

Mama Doe
I was looking at the amount of stuff I have collect over the years for my rabbits, and I thought about the things I had for them when I first got them. They had hardly anything :shock:

They had a food bowl, water bottle, and a litter tray. That was it I think, not even a cage (I always planned them to be house bunnies). Now they have 4 litter trays, 2 cages, a digging box, an 80 liter toy box, that doubles as the look out area, toys and boxes every where, tunnels loads of stuff really, Still only 1 food bowl though :D

What about everyone else, did you start out with bare mimimum like me? Or did you have every thing ever invented?

i stopped off at pets at home on my way home from getting Alvin to buy the basics and i ordered a cage off ebay (put him in the old chippie cage for a few days until it came)

so no organisation at all :lol::lol::lol::lol:

For my very first bun Jack, I got him a tiny cage, per the pet store's suggestiong :)evil:), the cheapest pellets I could find, some hay, a water bottle, and a food bowl.

I had no idea bunnies could be litter trained! But he just used his cage as a litter tray, because it was open all day long. :lol:

By the way, you have an 80 liter toy bin?! I need pictures to believe it! :shock:

By the way, you have an 80 liter toy bin?! I need pictures to believe it! :shock:

Its not very exciting, its just a kids toy box, but filled with half chewed bunny toys instead :lol: They get swapped around all the time in the vain hope of keeping abbey busy, doesn't work though.

Glad I'm not the only one whos bunnies started out with little bits.

I went on a shopping trip and came home with Oliver Rabbit. He had his indoor cage (with water bottle and food bowl), a litter tray (which lived in the living room until recently - barely used as he used his house as a toilet), he had a hanging ball thing, a chew toy (not sure where that went to), a ball that you put treats into and he rolls it around until they come out and one of those 'kong' rubber devices you, again, stuff with treats and he has to shake it out. I also bought him another water bottle in case he ran out of water when I was away for a night :p

I then bought him 2 mini litter trays for the corners of his cage that he was going in but I've recently given his cage to a rabbit rescue so now he just has the big litter tray that lived in the living room unused!

So on top of that he now has: a water bowl, a blanket, carrier, fluffy cushion type bed, a play tent, three tunnels, willow treat sticks, a knotted rope type of ball, a wicker type ball with a bell in, a sponge ball which is edible, willow sticks uhm, I bought him a mirror to hang off his cage but he wasn't interested in it and the cage has gone now too :lol: Another ball with a little ball inside of it that jingles when he pushes it and he has another BAG of new toys in a cupboard - thinking I'll break that out when his girlfriend comes home!

:oops::oops:

I'm not capable of going out to buy litter/hay without buying him a treat. He isn't bothered or interested in most of it either :roll: :lol:

I begged to get Thumper from the petshop :oops: and i had not even been paid my first pay so i had to scrap together money for him (he was £30) and then i used my bfs ex guinea ppig cage, food bowl, water bottle and then me my bf and my little sister pulled together money for food, bedding and hay :oops:

When i got my first pay i got him a new cage and toys but now i have more than i need and find it hard to keep the rooms tidy now for all the bunny stuff :roll:

when we got Bella we literally had nothing, we put her in the stable in my oh's back garden, used shavings, hay and straw all meant for the oh's mums horses :shock::roll: all that was 'hers' was a food bowl, water bowl and a sack of food!
since then, we have built her a run, she's gone from 1 to 6 food bowls!!, litter trays, dog crate, 2 tunnels, 3 tents (intended for toddlers!) wicker baskets, vet bed, her own storage tower for treats, hay etc. toys, rugs, fleeces etc etc etc
i can't help but buy her treats/toys whenever I'm out/ordering online.

The night before I picked Honey up we did a hit on P@H and I spent £60.
I bought
glass water bottle & foil backed cover.
3 brush set & shampoo & fur wipes.
straw & sawdust
P@H food & hay selection
Cage Cleaner & Bug Spray & Fly guard.
Hay manger & Alfalfa pellets.
And some other things I cant remember.

Before my first bunny (Daisy's brother who sadly went to the Bridge after two days) I went crazy with buying bunny paraphenalia - loads of toys, treats, different varieties of hay, two hay racks, two litter trays, three food bowls (different colours :oops:), a rabbit brush, nail clippers .... list goes on :lol:

Back