• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still not happy with snowdrops eating- not eaten anything today

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
We only got Snowdrop on sunday so I put her poor appitite down to the stress of a new environment and bonding. However she still hardly eats anything. Think i just need to reassurance that she is ok.

I took her to the vets today for a vhd vaccine and the vet had a good feel of her tummy and said it felt fine.

She will eat her pellets if i put them in a bowl and she notices strawberry is eating them. But by the time she notices Strawberry has had half of them already! She wont really touch any veg other than carrot but will eat hay. I phone Caroline at the RSPCA that we got her from who told me that she isnt a big eater normally and a bowl of pellets could last her two days. She wont eat anything from my hand at all, gives it a good sniff but just wont eat it.

Am I worrying over nothing? I am so used to strawberry eating everything and anything. She is mobile and having a good hop round the room at the minute so I dnt think she is poorly as such.

Last edited:
How much hay does she eat?
Are you feeding the same pellets as she had in Rescue?
Is she maintaining her weight?
Was she outdoors at the Rescue?

Have you had her teeth checked or were they checked at the RSPCA? Could be tooth spurs putting her off

Yes she was outdoors at the rescue so have been giving her fresh grass which she has been eating bits of. She eats less hay than Strawberry but Its still quite a bit. I am not sure about maintaining her weight as she hasnt been weighed since december. She was 1.85kg then and is 2.25kg today. I will take her back in a few days if she is still the same and have her weighed again.

I am giving the same pellets that she had before and she is eating them once she notices Strawberry is.

Yes she was outdoors at the rescue so have been giving her fresh grass which she has been eating bits of. She eats less hay than Strawberry but Its still quite a bit. I am not sure about maintaining her weight as she hasnt been weighed since december. She was 1.85kg then and is 2.25kg today. I will take her back in a few days if she is still the same and have her weighed again.

I am giving the same pellets that she had before and she is eating them once she notices Strawberry is.

Maybe she's not getting enough excercise. 1 of my buns got no excercise ayt the rescue as she was alone for months. She barely ate either. Now she's running round my garden with the other 2 wolfing everything in sight and still losing weight. She was a bit of a porker before.

She had a large enough hutch at the rescue and access to a run daily. it may just be that she used to graze on grass during the day and so didnt need alot of veg etc that she isnt eating it here. She is a very chilled out bunny and spends most of her time asleep!

Perhaps it'll take her some time to adjust to being in an indoor environment :?

Maybe. I will take her back to the vets after the weekend if i am still not happy. I have got some fibreplex- shall I try giving her some of that? I would have to syringe it into her mouth though with her not eat much veg as Strawberry would just pinch it if I put it in with her!

Maybe. I will take her back to the vets after the weekend if i am still not happy. I have got some fibreplex- shall I try giving her some of that? I would have to syringe it into her mouth though with her not eat much veg as Strawberry would just pinch it if I put it in with her!

Rachel, if she is eating some things and the vet has said she's okay, just keep an eye on her, check her stomache and keep an eye on her poos. Personally I think syringing her fibreplex if it's not necessary will stress her out and she's had enough stress going from one environment to another as well as a bonding.

Chill out and let her get on with it :)

Pleeeease chill out about it. If she's happy and healthy don't worry, rabbits should only eat an eggcup full of pellets every day anyway, so theres really nothing to worry about. She could manage very well without eating the pellets at all so don't stress over it.

She has just eaten her pellets and i saw her have some hay earlier.She has also had half a carrot. I think I am just worrying over nothing but after Graham going downhill so quickly I am panoid now!

She has just eaten her pellets and i saw her have some hay earlier.She has also had half a carrot. I think I am just worrying over nothing but after Graham going downhill so quickly I am panoid now!

Very understandable and better to be too careful than not careful enough :)

what about the type of pellet? Eventhough pellet should only be say 7% of a bun's total diet, you should make sure it's in the following mix:

week 1: 70% old type of pellet + 30% your new pellet
week 2: 50% - 50% mix
week 3: 30% new + 30% old

what about the type of pellet? Eventhough pellet should only be say 7% of a bun's total diet, you should make sure it's in the following mix:

week 1: 70% old type of pellet + 30% your new pellet
week 2: 50% - 50% mix
week 3: 30% new + 30% old

She is on the same pellet that she was fed in rescue. I will change try and change he over to A&P but wont be for a few weeks yet when she is properly settled in.

She hasnt eaten anything yet today. Turned her nose up at everything i tried to give her and Strawberry keeps eating it all so I cant leave her with anything. I also havent seen her eat any hay yet today and she seems to want to just sit in her bed all the time. She did had a nibble of some carrot earlier but then Strawberry stole it off her and ran away.

How long can I put it down to her being stressed/adjusting/a picky eater?

Sorry to drag this back up again but something just doesnt seem right.

Do they both have seperate food bowls? When we got Truffle she was such a greedy tum tum that she used to push Bean out the way. Eventually Bean just got fed up and at feeding time he just sat in his bed not interested. We came up with the solution of getting two bowls of food and it worked:D Eventually both buns started eating out of one bowl of their own accord. I honestly thing they were just getting used to each other. Could you give this a try? The two bowl situation carried on for a good two weeks for us!

I have tried two bowls but she wont eat out of either. She just completely ignores food.My Oh is distracting Strawbs and I have put some grated carrot in front of her. She has had a good sniff of it and eaten the tinest little bit but wont have any more.

Sorry to hear she's still not eating much. I don't know what to suggest except for trying her with tasty herbs/dandelions etc to try and tempt her, which you are obviously already doing.

Is she pooing and weeing ok?

It's a tough one as I know i'd be really worried too if it was my bunny - vets again to be on the safe side?

I have tried dandelions and grass but she isnt interested. I am gonna give the vets a ring and see what they say. I dont want to stress her for no reason but then again for her to be not eating anything isnt right and I dont want her to go downhill over the weekend when I would have to use the emergency vets.

Back