• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alpaca Birth - picture heavy

coco1200

Warren Veteran
More pictures from work experience at the alpaca farm! (click) first thread!
this girl is called Sorrel, and I was so lucky to see her birth today. She gave birth a month early, exacly... she was expected on May 9! She wasn't pushing properly, and the owner of the 'paca farm had to help her by pulling the baby out! sorry if you are sqeaumish! :love:

here she was trying to push
IMG_7985.jpg

legs! still has the amniotic sac around it
IMG_7987.jpg

puling her out now, but sac still attached
IMG_7993.jpg

breaking the sac, and all the fluid dripping out! the head too! :love:
IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7999.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

nearly there!
IMG_8009.jpg

and here she is :love::love:
IMG_8011.jpg

and her proud mum, with her first Cria (baby alpaca) :love::love:
IMG_8017.jpg

The Cria has suspected hypothermia, becuase it was so cold :( I think her being premature made her more at risk of catching it in the weather conditions where they were. She's had to go in a cage now, with a heat bulb and hairdryer to try and increase her boy temp. I'll find out how she's doing tomorrow!

and heres a picture of me and the little baby, wearing a jacket... I was told by the vet to hold her to keep her warm. sorry I look so terrible... farm work is not a glamorous job :lol:
IMG_8025.jpg

Last edited:
Awww what amazing pics and what a fab place to do work experience. Keep us updated hope the little one will be ok :)

What great pics! Must have been brill to watch in real life. Hope the little one pulls through ok. Love the pic of you and the baby in the same jacket. How sweet! :love:

WOW what lovely photos.They remind me of when I was little and used to go with my daddy to do his vets rounds.Are you going to be a vet Coco?

WOW what lovely photos.They remind me of when I was little and used to go with my daddy to do his vets rounds.Are you going to be a vet Coco?

its amazing watching it happen isn't it? I really want to be a vet Maizey. I'm applying this september, so I desperatley need to get the grades to even consider applying for it! I've realised how tough it is, but after a talk with a veterinary tutor at nottingham, he's told me that you have a 1 in 2 chance of being accpeted once you have had an interview. I've got everything crossed that everything goes according to plan!

I will update you guys on the little Cria... unfortunatley, tomorrows my last day at the Alpaca farm :cry:. Hopefully I'll be going back in the summer hols though!

Fantastic pictures!! I hope the little one does okay :love:

Btw Janak....you could never look terrible in any pic...I tell ya...If I was half my age....;) lol

They are fabulous pics Janak.
What an amazing time you're having there
Will keep everythign crossed for the new arrival

Back