• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie has had bladder surgery, U/D THU ... He's Home!!! P118 photo

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
He refused Carroty treats at about 11.30am but did eat a raisin shortly after. He didn't seem uncomfortable at first, though he is starting to shuffle a bit now. Vet's appointment at 3:20.

I just don't get it 4 rabbits have eaten the same today and the others are all fine. He's turned down dandelions and raspberry leaves :( He was so lively yesterday evening and this morning, eating and pooping well, it's beyond me :cry::cry::cry:

I could cry, I daren't leave it any longer with it being a bank holiday and the 'appointment' isn't exactly an appointment, I'm being squeezed it. I dread to think what the traffic is going to be like as well.

Last edited:
I would try soaking some of his pellets and syringing a bit..make sure he is kept warm too
Fingers crossed he is ok

My bunny always gets sick during the bank hol, think she has a 6th sense.

Give him lots of tummy massages and keep him moving around the room, not long to wait until you see the vet, good luck. Clare x

If he ate this morning I would hold off syringe feeds incase he has a blockage.
Feeding an obstructed Rabbit will make things very much worse.
Warmth and water (syringe 10-20ml cooled boiled water every hour) is what I'd do til the Vet sees him

Sending vibes xx

If he ate this morning I would hold off syringe feeds incase he has a blockage.
Feeding an obstructed Rabbit will make things very much worse.
Warmth and water (syringe 10-20ml cooled boiled water every hour) is what I'd do til the Vet sees him

Sending vibes xx

Thanks Jane

I don't to syringe in early stages anyway because my attempts stress them far too much, to be worth anything in the early stages :oops:

UPDATE

Well I drove the 50 minute journey and he has a MASSIVE wee on the way there and then looked really bright. I felt like I was transporting a 'well' rabbit to an appointment.

When I saw the vet (Ruth) and got to see the extent of the wet patch she agreed that it was significant evidence and after thorough checks said she would x-ray him in case of bladder stones/sludge etc. It would seem it had hurt him so much to wee that he held it all in, until he really had to go :cry:

Half an hour later she showed me the paper from his temporary carrier and it was covered in horrible creamy/chalky stuff with blood in it - I panicked of cause and then remembered that blood in wee can be a symptom of bladder infection. I also panicked because FHB came down to review the xray etc and I though, "Oh God, this is serious then".

I saw the xray and he has loads of calcium in his bladder. So he's being kept in overnight for observations and antibiotics and painkillers. I've to ring tomorrow to see whether he's well enough to come home or they have to intervene more :( *scared witless*.

He looked so bright when I left him tho' and he actually had a dandelion leaf in his mouth when the vet picked him out of the carrier, so *hopefully* nature and antibiotics will settle him (unless I wasn't listening properly because the sludge on the newspaper really shocked me).

If anybody can spare a few vibes for the lovely cuddly Artie we'd all be so grateful for them

Last edited:
Poor Artie, he's in the best possible place though. Sending him lots of vibes. xxx

Thanks everybody.

What a strange week. I've been watching Esme like a hawk half expecting this sort of outcome for her - but not Artie, what a shock. He's been bright and bouncy all week, showing no signs of being unwell :? I'm careful of what I give them with regard to calcium levels in too. Poor baby :(

Sending Artie lots of bunny snuggles & nose rubs Alison for when he feels better & feels like having them xxx

Is there anything in a bunny's diet we should restrict to avoid this happening to our buns? Bunny wee always seems quite strong to me, and often milky.
You have me wondering now...
What foods have a high content of calcium??

Lots of vibes for poor Artie! Must be painful for the little guy, yet he seems like such a trooper! Poor thing. :(

Back