• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had to rush Dulcie to the vet - U/D back to normal :D

TermiteFrank

Wise Old Thumper
All I can say is thank goodness the vet I use is excellent and knowledgeable with rabbits. I went to feed the bunnies this morning and poor Dulcie looked really sorry for her self. She was lying with her legs stuck out behind her near the door and when I let them out, only Frank charged out like a nutter (as normal). I stroked her back and she went and sat in the corner all hunched up. I felt her and she was like a football and her ribs felt pushed out and further apart than normal. She looked terribly sad and uncomfortable - her little face looked pinched like a human in pain.

Oh no - gut stasis! Oh double no - the thought of wrestling with Frank to take him too as company and so their bond wasn't broken. I decided to risk leaving him at home as I didn't have the time for a bunny fight. :lol:

I had her at the vets within half an hour and the vet said she was surprised, but happy that I had brought her to see her at such an early stage. She said this is when she likes to see them. Poor Dulcie was not impressed and lay out flat like a pancake as she had her temperature taken and her tummy felt. Vet said there were no blockages and she could feel poop in her intestines, so that was a good sign. Dulcie was now shaking like a leaf, so she got to hop back in her travelling case and the vet very kindly said she could reach in to give the two injections Dulcie needed.

Dulcie is home and now like a different rabbit to what she was this morning. Frank just gave her a sniff and carried on like they'd never been apart - he's such a sweetheart. First thing she did was have a long drink, a couple of pellets, a munch of hay and is hopping round like nothing has happened. I was going to keep her in the house, but she seems so well and the kennel is so warm and draught free, I thought she'd be better in her usual surroundings with Frank for company than upstairs in a 3 foot dog crate. I might put her a hot water bottle in just in case she's cold. I suppose the test of if she needs the Fibreplex and Bio-Lapis is if I can get them into her without ending up covered in them myself. :lol:

I'm so relieved she seems okay and is eating and drinking. Hopefully she will not relapse. All vibes appreciated. ;)

Anybody who is in any doubt when their rabbit is quiet, please don't wait and see what happens - get them to the vets immediately. It's a lot easier for a rabbit to recover from gut stasis when you catch is as early as possible. Waiting till tomorrow to see how they go could be a death sentence.

Last edited:
Gosh how petrifying for you.
I get so scared at hearing cases like this as i'm scared that I'd not recognise my lot.
Glad that Dolcie is okay, must have been extremely scary!
Vibes for her comfort.
X x x x x x

Believe me, you'd recognize if one of your bunnies was like Dulcie was.

Thanks for the vibes - going to check on her in a minute as I'm a paranoid and worried bunny mummy now! Think I'll pick her some fresh grass to see if that will tempt her to keep eating.

Just a quick note to say that my gorgeous little girl is back to normal this morning. She was shooting round the back yard like a white streak again - yay! And she's just tucked into her pellets.. or rather Frank's pellets as she insists on pushing him out of his bowl in case I've slipped him something tasty.

I can't believe how ill she was this time yesterday. I've not been able to persuade her to take her probiotic the vet gave me, but if she's eating, drinking and binkying like a loony as normal, I don't think forcing Bio-Lapis and Fiberplex into her is going to do her any good at all.

I can't tell you how relieved I am that she's okay. I love both my little buns more than I'd have ever thought possible prior to last September when Frank arrived on my doorstep.

Glad she's doing so well. It always amazes me how sick they look (suddenly) and then how quickly they are bright and lively. You almost forget for a few hours what they are like when they are well.

I never realised how much bunnies would mean to me when I first got them either.

Back