• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rexy grooming

weeble

This might be a silly question but I am new to the world of rexs :oops:. My mini rex Albert had his first day free ranging today and went back into the shed quite happily with the others. They all had slightly muddy feet afterwards and the Dutch have always been fine I'm just wondering if I need to wash and dry Alberts feet up for him each time or should I just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesnt get sore?

Washing his feet daily will be more likely to cause problems than prevent them. He should be able to groom himself clean and once the mud has dried it'll come off on his hay/straw bedding :)

Thanks Jane I thought I might be worrying too much I've read so much on here about sore rexy feet I just want to stop any problems before they start :)

Thanks Jane I thought I might be worrying too much I've read so much on here about sore rexy feet I just want to stop any problems before they start :)

Alot of the Rex Hock problems are genetic in origin. Whilst you can prevent some Rexes developing it you cant do as much about those with a genetic predisposition. If kept on a suitable substrate such as very thick soft hay and grass a Rex who has not developed hock hairloss by about 12 months of age should not be too badly effected. Mini Rexes do better than standard Rexes as they have a lower body weight :)

I have a rex the problems with them is as you can see they have diff fur to other buns its very soft/dense so it easy for feet to get sore as the fur isnt strong enough to protect them (norm bun fur would protect feet)
Best thing to do is leave them alone but if you notice any feet problems then get to vet (winston was left in his own wee which made his very sore they will never get better now as he saw a vet too late) he has to take med every day now. Best ground is soft mud and grass this will stop his feet from developing problems in first place.

Back