• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do pets @ home gets thier rabbits from?

Bunnyx

Warren Scout
I have always wondered where do pets at home get thier rabbits from? Does anybody know? Do they breed thier own stock? Id like to find out!

well, 2 of my friends work in the local P@H, and I used to work in a petshop a long time ago, and its usually in big white vans, from mass breeding warehouses :(.
they literally have rows and rows of breeding animals to stock the uk with pets. its very sad, and thats why I can never bear looking at these animals knowing where they have come from. people assume its all from breeders... and im sure some stock comes from breeders, but its from the warehouses that mass breed.

Last edited:
well, 2 of my friends work in the local P@H, and I used to work in a petshop a long time ago, and its usually in big white vans, from mass breeding warehouses :(.
they literally have rows and rows of breeding animals to stock the uk with pets. its very sad, and thats why I can never bear looking at these animals knowing where they have come from. people assume from breeders... and im sure some stock comes from breeders, but its from the warehouses that mass breed.

I work in a pet shop during weekends (to spread the word about animals before i get shot down) and the bunnies we get are from breeders and breeders only.....the guinea pigs, hamsters and rats all come from a breeding centre in Essex :?

One of my buns was a breeding doe for somebody that supplied the big petshops. He had hundreds of rabits kept in tiny cages and picked them up by random legs and threw them around. Thank god he has now had to stop breeding. Mass producing animals is wrong wrong wrong...:cry:

they literally have rows and rows of breeding animals to stock the uk with pets. its very sad, and thats why I can never bear looking at these animals knowing where they have come from. people assume its all from breeders... and im sure some stock comes from breeders, but its from the warehouses that mass breed.

Noo this is what I was dreading! Ive heard rumours about this but I didnt really think it was actually true:(:( Poor things:censored:

i think its awful :cry: I came across a website looking for fish food, and it was saying that they can supply any animal in any amount needed, i was shocked reading it.
I'm sure my friend took a picture of the inside of the van when she had to take the order of the animals. I'll get her to send it to me. She feels just as sick about it as I do!
BTW - i'm not slating P@H, I'm sure its different from store to store. I just know for a fact that the stock from the Daventry store comes from the warehouses.

Last edited:
Like a few others, I assumed that P@H and other pet shops got their stock from breeders getting rid of the ones with imperfect markings that they couldn't sell privately for top dollar etc. The white van story is sickening :censored:

over here in belfast they transport them from England over to here. would hate to see what way their transported. they don't seem to have many in for Easter which is good.

aww thats horrible:cry:
I Havent been in our local one yet:roll:
So i havent a clue
but when i do go in,
is it rude to ask where they come from???:shock::oops:

I clean an office across the road from a "petshop" and they have a van arrive at 9pm when the shop has closed delivering animals.the last lot we saw was a good 6 buns crammed in one wire box:cry:.I guess there would be uproar if they were seen doing this by the customers! a petshop i do go in that "used" to sell animals talks freely about a breeding centre they got their stock from.any they didnt sell were swapped for babies and disposed off! they paid £4 for a baby and sold them for £30.

A local chain petstore had a sign up in it's window saying that they bought babies. I also saw a woman, (your average blonde, youngish woman) taking a carrier full of babies in and coming out with an empty carrier.

I felt like saying something to her but I am sure that I would have got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
A local chain petstore had a sign up in it's window saying that they bought babies. I also saw a woman, (your average blonde, youngish woman) taking a carrier full of babies in and coming out with an empty carrier.

I felt like saying something to her but I am sure that I would have got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble.

Another question I asked pets at home, they say they are from people who have unwanted rabbits and reputable breeders :evil: would'nt tell me how many were bred and sold each year though!

There's a commercial breeder fairly near me in Pinxton, Derbyshire who sells all kinds of rodents, rabbits and reptiles to pet shops (although I don't think Pets at Home are one). He supplies live animals to be sold as pets, and also dead animals for snake food. All animals go to the pet shop on a 'sale or return' basis, and those which are returned get frozen alive and re-sold as snake food :cry:

The RSPCA has investigated him before but have never managed to find anything prosecutable on their visits. Fortunately this appears to have had the effect of stopping his breeding operation for the moment (or so I've heard).

Back