• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Awful Question..

What would you do if you came across a wild bun that obviously had Myxi? I came across one today on my way home from work, and I just left him be.. I've not been able to get him off my mind though.. He was only a baby.. :( I thought about catching him and taking him to the vets to be PTS, but I didn't want to run the risk of infecting my own buns..

Sorry for asking such a horrible question.. :cry: I just hate to see animals suffer..

I was in that situation when I went shopping with my friend we had her german shepherd in the car. It was sat in the middle of the road. I used my cardi to move it off the road. There was nothing else I could do. :(

firstly i would take him to the vets, but if I couldnt I would have put him out of his misery in all honesty :(. please don't shoot me, but I hate to see animals suffer like that.

I had to do it to a snake I found, when I was in holiday in Uganda. I felt SO guilty, but I knew it was the best thing for him. he would have died in agony otherwise....

I'd take it to the vet if that was at all possible. I found one last summer who was close to death, it was horrible. It was a sunday so the vets were closed and all I could do was put him in a hedgerow. I am too much of a wimp to have killed him, and I wouldn't have a clue how to do it properly. I rang my friend who is a vet nurse because I was so upset about it, but she said by the time the mxyi has taken hold and the rabbit is that bad, their central nervous system has been affected so they don't feel the pain. Not sure how true that is, maybe she said it to make me feel better!

I guess I was just worrying if I 'd been wrong to want to put the poor little thing out of it's misery by myself.. I've done it before with fish, and it broke my heart, but I knew it was best for them really..

firstly i would take him to the vets, but if I couldnt I would have put him out of his misery in all honesty :(. please don't shoot me, but I hate to see animals suffer like that.

I had to do it to a snake I found, when I was in holiday in Uganda. I felt SO guilty, but I knew it was the best thing for him. he would have died in agony otherwise....

i admire people who can put animals out of their misery.. i cant do it i turn into a big wailing mess and no good to the poor animal..... my moms cat had got a bird the once and i was in a panic about to get a taxi to the vets and my little bro did the deed... he cried, i cried, his gf cried but it had to be done and i was so happy he was there that day :cry::cry::cry::cry:

i like to think i would catch it and get it to a vet, but tbh i have no idea if id even know the symptoms as i dont generally see wild bunnies and ive not seen myxi first hand either.

Oh, I would most likely stop and pick it up with a piece of clothing.

I had to get mum to stop on the common the other day as there was a baby rabbit right in the middle of the road. Lucky it wasnt busy, but god I really dont want to think about what might have happened if it had been busy.
It seemed really dazed so was so easy to pick up, but seemed to come to its senses when I put it on the grass area and trotted off.

i admire people who can put animals out of their misery.. i cant do it i turn into a big wailing mess and no good to the poor animal..... my moms cat had got a bird the once and i was in a panic about to get a taxi to the vets and my little bro did the deed... he cried, i cried, his gf cried but it had to be done and i was so happy he was there that day :cry::cry::cry::cry:

i like to think i would catch it and get it to a vet, but tbh i have no idea if id even know the symptoms as i dont generally see wild bunnies and ive not seen myxi first hand either.

me too, I wanted to be a vet when I was younger however never did anything about it after doing some volunteer work in a vets and couldn't handle the PTS side of things. I know you are doing it for the right reasons however I just couldn't do it.

My friend and I saw a myxi bun at the side of a busy road, we stopped the car and went to get it, it was so ill and scared by the cars rushing past it so we bundled it up in my jumper and put it in the boot of my car and called a wildlife centre who came and took him away and put him to sleep :cry: I was so upset and worried about infecting my own bunnies but I couldn't have left him there. I was told to put everything I had been wearing straight in to the wash then shower and I also disinfected the car. I was lucky the wildlife centre helped, I would have taken him to a vets to be pts otherwise.

Luckily for me, Mike has always been with me when we have found a myxi bun, and has put it out it of its misery. I have killed a rat after the dogs caught it but I was distraught afterwards, but I couldn't leave it to suffer.
I asked my vet about whether rabbits feel pain with myxi, as somebody said that to me once, he was convinced that they do.:(

I have never had the sad fortune to come across such an animal, but I think I would not be able to do much but move it to somewhere as comfortable as possible for its final hours :cry: I just don't have it in me to end the life of another creature, even if it were in pain.

I feel really guilty for leaving him there, knowing I could have done something to help ease his pain.. I'm so sorry little bun..

I too would first look at the option of vets, etc, and if there was no other workable option I would put it out of it's pain. It's not something I would do lightly, but I'd rather do that than leave it there.

I don't think you should feel guilty for doing what you did. All anyone can do is do what they think is best at the time, and you did, because you protected your buns. My buns would be the first thing on my mind too, which is why I would be reluctant to take a myxi bun like this anywhere near my belongings. You did the right thing for your buns, and they should be your priority, you didn't do anything wrong.

Back