• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is she prone?

XcrystalX

Warren Scout
my bun is quite fat! but she excersises nearly everyday!she's a nethie X dutch, is she prone to be overweight? :oops::shock::(

she's in the run for sometimes more than 3hours but isn't very big, and she's on a handful of pellets (excel but we're changing it) and she ways a wopping 2.5kg i feel horrible!:cry::( i just seem to not get weight off! i tryed everything i can think off!!!:cry:

what do you feed her?
how much do you feed her?

They arent prone yo being overweight that I know of.

sorry, just seen the above.

If her run isn't big then that's probably the problem. She isn't getting adequate exercise. You say she is in her run for 3 or more hours a day... is she stuck in a hutch the rest of the time...and how big is it. Does it have a run attached.....

I would be reluctant to use a lead on a rabbit as too many accidents happen whilst bunnies are out with them on. Rabbits are prey animals, and if they feel threatened their first instinct is to bolt....if that happened while she was on a lead then she will end up hurt. I would also avoid taking her into open fields. This will only frighten her and if she hasn't been vaccinated against VHD and Mxyi, it will put her at risk.

Is there no possibility of allowing her to have more space in the garden...

she's in the run for sometimes more than 3hours but isn't very big, and she's on a handful of pellets (excel but we're changing it) and she ways a wopping 2.5kg i feel horrible!:cry::( i just seem to not get weight off! i tryed everything i can think off!!!:cry:

decrease her pellets, it seems a bit much for a nethie X. increase her run time too, 3 hours is far too little time. you're not going to see changes overnight, just be paitent with it, and she should start dropping the weight soon.
and DONT take her on a lead, please!

also, is she neutered?

Does she have any vegetables as well as her pellets? Especially things like carrot, and if so, how much?

I agree with the others though - 3 hours in a run isn't long enough for a bunny to exercise properly - how big is her hutch; would it be possible to attach it to the run so she can come and go all day?

she really needs to have access to a 6ft run for the whole day if possible. If she has to be shut in over night she also needs to be in a hutch about 6ft long or a 5ft double story so she has plenty of room to hop around. Getting a neutered boyfriend would also make her more active.

Food wise she should probably have an agg cup full handful of pellets a day and a small handful of mixed veg (introduce slowly if she is not already having it) and the rest should be hay hay hay hay.

if she is not neutered she will also have a dewlap wich is the roll of excess skin under her chin. A vet may not neuter her if she is over weight but if you can get the weight down slowly I'd recomend you get her done as it will help prevent her getting uterine cancer which is very common in unspayed does......it will also mean that you can get her a boyfriend.

Last edited:
Does she have any vegetables as well as her pellets? Especially things like carrot, and if so, how much?

I agree with the others though - 3 hours in a run isn't long enough for a bunny to exercise properly - how big is her hutch; would it be possible to attach it to the run so she can come and go all day?

she's soooooooooo lazy, i take their tent(toy) out so there's nothing in there but she still just sits there!:roll::lol::(

she really needs to have access to a 6ft run for the whole day if possible. If she has to be shut in over night she also needs to be in a hutch about 6ft long or a 5ft double story so she has plenty of room to hop around. Getting a neutered boyfriend would also make her more active.

Food wise she should probably have an agg cup full handful of pellets a day and a small handful of mixed veg (introduce slowly if she is not already having it) and the rest should be hay hay hay hay.

if she is not neutered she will also have a dewlap wich is the roll of excess skin under her chin. A vet may not neuter her if she is over weight but if you can get the weight down slowly I'd recomend you get her done as it will help prevent her getting uterine cancer which is very common in unspayed does......it will also mean that you can get her a boyfriend.
i don't think i can introduce another bun, cos they've been 2gether all their life (2 years) she is spayed (and still a fatty bun bun!)but the other isn't!my sister sed its because of her breed unlikely (nethie X dutch) she has that size hutch we take her in everyday into the house then into the garden, but the other one goes loose in the garden because she doesn't run away (like some bun:roll::lol:) i'll see what my mum says about the boyfriend, cos she's started humping crystal (and they're both girls!!)

its triangular!

she's soooooooooo lazy, i take their tent(toy) out so there's nothing in there but she still just sits there!:roll::lol::(

It's a vicious cycle though - for the same reason that my overweight niece doesn't like doing PE at school! You need to get some of the weight shifted and encourage her to move around, before she will want to do it on her own.

Some things you can do to help may be:

Get her a friend if she hasn't already, I'm not clear on whether she lives with the other rabbit you talk about? - two buns together tend to interact more (but from the sounds of it your accommodation isn't big enough for two at the moment). Can you get the other female spayed?

Get a bigger hutch/run so she has more space to move around when she wants to and when she is more able to. Triangular runs are no good for rabbits as they don't have enough head room to make 2/3 of the space useable, so in effect it's only good to get the bun some fresh air and grass, but not exercise. Can you not supervise her loose in the garden like you do the other bun? How do you mean she 'runs away' - she obviously can move if she wants to then! Do you mean you can't catch her again? The easy way to catch a bun after free time is to train them to the noise of the pellet bag being rattled. Most rabbits will run home themselves when they hear the food bag, it shouldn't take long to train her!

Cut down on the pellets, cut out any treats like shop bought bunny treats, carrot and apple (both of these are sugary and fattening!)

Make her work for her food - put it in a treat ball, mix it with hay, make some toys from cardboard boxes/tubes and put the food in inaccessible places in it

Swap your pellets from excel to excel lite. These are also perfectly fine for your other bun

Last edited:
what type of hutch do you have?
Could you not see if your mum can build a run on? or get a run and get your mum to attach it to the hutch?

She probably just sits there as there isnt enough space for anything else.

I would really look into getting a different run for them both, as if Im thinking of the right one, that really isnt best for two bunnies.

:)

It's a vicious cycle though - for the same reason that my overweight niece doesn't like doing PE at school! You need to get some of the weight shifted and encourage her to move around, before she will want to do it on her own.

Some things you can do to help may be:

Get her a friend if she hasn't already, I'm not clear on whether she lives with the other rabbit you talk about? - two buns together tend to interact more (but from the sounds of it your accommodation isn't big enough for two at the moment). Can you get the other female spayed?

Get a bigger hutch/run so she has more space to move around when she wants to and when she is more able to. Triangular runs are no good for rabbits as they don't have enough head room to make 2/3 of the space useable, so in effect it's only good to get the bun some fresh air and grass, but not exercise. Can you not supervise her loose in the garden like you do the other bun? How do you mean she 'runs away' - she obviously can move if she wants to then! Do you mean you can't catch her again? The easy way to catch a bun after free time is to train them to the noise of the pellet bag being rattled. Most rabbits will run home themselves when they hear the food bag, it shouldn't take long to train her!

Cut down on the pellets, cut out any treats like shop bought bunny treats, carrot and apple (both of these are sugary and fattening!)

Make her work for her food - put it in a treat ball, mix it with hay, make some toys from cardboard boxes/tubes and put the food in inaccessible places in it

Swap your pellets from excel to excel lite. These are also perfectly fine for your other bun

when she runs away, she does come back but the bit behind our house has cats and wild rabbits (some carrying myxi)she's and she's a little horror 2 catch! if i try and supervise her, she dodges me! the other one doesn't (i think she might be a bit thick!) run away, you can just "round her up!!":lol:
i think my dad's gonna make a run (maybe:roll::() and i'll ask him 2 attach it to the hutch and i'll make some toys, but she chews them! she's a very naughty bun!

Back