• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary

PandS

Warren Scout
I'm moving into my Mum and Stepfather's house in June (once I finish uni) and will have to get rid of the current set up my bunnies have. It won't fit on the patio once they've had their extension. My Stepfather is superorganised and I've been trying to come up with a solution that will keep him happy.

The only space really available is next to the raised vegetable patch. Unfortunately the space is an inch shy of 4ft. This means a shed or wendy house won't fit. I think the best solution is a 9ft x 3ft x 6ft aviary with some sort of accommodation raised off the ground inside.

I'm not too happy with the size so want to add shelves and really make use of the 6ft height (hence why i think the 'hutch' bit should be raised). How does this sound? Does anyone have an aviary for their rabbits? Thanks! :wave:

It's hard to picture but I'm not sure if you'll be able to walk in front of a hutch inside a 3' wide aviary? How would you open the doord so clean out etc? Could you have a 6x2 hutch with a small run attached to the side, and maybe a separate bigger run elsewhere in the garden?

I'm sure I have seen some playhouse that come up just under 4' each way so might still be worth looking around.

The rabbits will have access to the garden when I'm home (the garden is contained). I was thinking I'd have a roof to the aviary as the buns spend most of their time in the run atm (I'm forever finding them there when I come in at night and worrying they'll get cold). I found one playhouse that would fit but I just feel that it would lead to them having less space.

My brother is going to build the 'hutch' part so I think I'll have to think outside the box and not have a normal hutch. I'l try to get my Mum to send me some photos of the space as it's hard to visualise.

My playhouse is 4' square - tiny but works. it will be surrounded by a large permanent run though. Just to let you know you can get 4' ones. Google Bunny Playhouse.

Back