• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does my house bun need his cage?

Dylans_Mam

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave:.

Dylan has the full fun of the house when we are in, when we are out he has the full run of the kitchen where his cage is. He never gets locked in his cage, it is always open for him to jump in and out when he likes. In fact, he only goes in his cage for his food and this is because i have always put his food bowl in his cage. Do indoor rabbits really need a cage? This thought popped into my head last night so i just thought i would ask for your opinion.

Thanks

I don't have a cage for Honey. As long as everything is bunny safe I think it is fine. I would just keep the cage for emergencies. Honey has a bed under my bed as her base so she has somewhere to go and a litter tray.

Its mainly for somewhere for him to hide if he feels scared and has o hide. But if he can hide somewhere like in cupboard or under table then no not really.
Mine have hutch but like you say they never use it unless we have been to vets for op and theyre huffing or potty.

I had a big old hutch in Biscuit's room, but now she doesn't have one at all, she has tunnels and boxes to hide in (she sleeps in her cupboard box at night even though she has a vet bed) and lays flat out in the sun in middle of room during the day.

He can hide under our dining room table, he also has tunnels and things he could run and hide in. I was thinking, i could get one of those igloo cat beds, he could go in there to hide if he wanted to? How would i go about taking his cage away, would it upset him? The only prob is his water bottle, i would need to improvise, maybe try and attach it to the leg of a chair or something :lol:.

My two prefer the bowl :D Even now when in a foursome they drink from the bowl first. In the mornings I go out and the bowl will be empty, then the nearest waterbottle, then the other 2 wattle bottles only drank a little :D

Back