• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you weigh your buns?

Reading Cat's thread on her buns weight.. got me curious.. as I have tried weighing our buns at home.. on standard bathroom scales - which are inaccurate.. on digital bathroom scales they do not register (as the weight isn't correctly distributed across the sensors I think...)

We tried my OH being weighed then adding a bun and subtracting his weight from their joint weight.. but this doesn't seem accurate to me!

We used the dog ones in the vet waiting room and were told they were no good for buns as 0.2kg difference to a bun is more substantial than to a dog.. as these scales are designed for larger animals!

Anyway the only successful way we get our buns weighed is when they have a vet appointment and they use their small (hidden in the consultation rooms) scales for small animals...

So how does everyone here weigh their buns at home - what scales are the best? (If I get them to sit still long enough!:lol:)

I usually go with the weighing that the vet does but if I'm checking in between I use a digital scale and weigh myself then weigh again holding the bunny and the weight difference is my bunnies weight :D

Don't know if thats the best way though, but its the one i use

I gave up and leave it to the vets.

We had a brainwave to put Lola in the bowl that you get with the baking scales, she was not having any of it! And when I weigh her own my scales they dont even register.

You can get baby weighing scales which are more accurate but I just use digital kitchen scales :) The small buns fit on ok but with the bigger ones I just put them in a carrier and balance it on top then subtract the weight of the carrier to get their weight. I have found this to be quite accurate because a couple of times I have weighed them before going to the vet then when the vet weighed them it was about the same. The difference has never been more than 0.05kg :)

I'll be getting mine weighed at the vets, always have done in the past but annoying that I have to wait for each vet appointment before I can check their weight :roll: especially when bunnies are still growing up and their weight changes frequently.

I dont know if this actually works but if you have a Wii and the Wii Balance Board/WiiFit, if you stand on the board it will tell you your weight and then it says something like ‘If you stand on me holding something else, such as a pet, I will be able to tell you the difference and how much your pet weighs’. I wonder if anyone here has tried that to see if it actually works? :lol:

You can get baby weighing scales which are more accurate but I just use digital kitchen scales :) The small buns fit on ok but with the bigger ones I just put them in a carrier and balance it on top then subtract the weight of the carrier to get their weight. I have found this to be quite accurate because a couple of times I have weighed them before going to the vet then when the vet weighed them it was about the same. The difference has never been more than 0.05kg :)

Exactly the same here - except I tend to put the carrier on first, set the scales to zero and then put the rabbit in :)

I do have baby scales but I don't find them as accurate as they are designed for a baby lying on its back, so the read out seems to vary depending on how the bun is sitting on them. My kitchen scales are accurate to the gram though and they are brilliant - they were about £4 from Argos :)

Back