• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weaning babies - advice please

lh_111

New Kit
Hi there, hope someone can give me some advice. 8 weeks ago one of the pair of 'sisters' we adopted from a friend gave birth to 5 little kits. All have survived and are in great shape. They will be 8 weeks this weekend, and a friend has offered to take 2 on. I have no experience of weaning babies, so was wondering whether its ok to just take them from mum, or does it need to be done gradually? They have been eating solids and drinking from a bottle for some time now.

Thanks x

Hi there, hope someone can give me some advice. 8 weeks ago one of the pair of 'sisters' we adopted from a friend gave birth to 5 little kits. All have survived and are in great shape. They will be 8 weeks this weekend, and a friend has offered to take 2 on. I have no experience of weaning babies, so was wondering whether its ok to just take them from mum, or does it need to be done gradually? They have been eating solids and drinking from a bottle for some time now.

Thanks x

You need to leave the Kits in the accomodation they are in now and remove the Mum.

I would provide a water soluble probiotic for the Kits. Weaning is very stressful and it is the time when gut problems are most likely to occur.
I would not rehome any of the Kits until two weeks after weaning.

Back