• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why Wouldent You Buy A P@H Bun Bun? xxx

The general consensus is that one more pet bought from a pet shop such as PAH is one less that is stuck in a rescue. The more people who go to rescues the less bunnies there will be there in desperate need of a home. If you think about it, if you don't buy that cute little baby bun, someone else less knowledgable will (cause its a cute baby bun :roll:) but if you don't rescue a bun, the chances of it finding a new home are MUCH slimmer.

I know baby bunnies are cute but adult bunnies can be just as cute, if not more so! My Frankie came to me at 1 year old and he is beautiful and so, so friendly !

Any rabbit from any pet shop will have been bred somewhere...moved from the breeder to the pet shop...put in quarantine at the pet shop (hopefully!)...put out the front on display...stared at, prodded and screamed at by children...and then bought. All of which is incredibly stressful for such a young rabbit, so should be avoided if at all possible. It is not nice for the rabbit and it is not good for their health, particularly at that young age when they are still developing. You also have no idea how they have been bred - it's not just this bun, but how have its parents been kept? Do they live their entire life in a 2ft cage just so you can buy a cute bunny? You just don't know.

And of course, there are 33,000 rabbits taken to rescues in the UK every year - there are already too many rabbits so buying one from a pet shop means that there is a risk that an existing unwanted bun will have to be put to sleep because there is no space for it. Why keep encouraging people to breed more, when there are already too many!

Its not just pets at home, most people on here would not buy a bunny from any pet shop. Pets shop bunnies come from breeders. When there are already thousands of rabbits in rescues there should be no need to be breeding anymore. Some of the bunnies in pet shops will end up being brought by people who dont kow alot about rabbits and will live lonely lives at the bottom of gardens in tiny hutches. Or they will end up in rescues as people (mainly children) dont want them anymore.

By not buying a bunny from a pet shop you are not encouraging them to continue breeding. By takin a bunny from rescue instead you are freeing up a space for another poor bunny who really needs it.

Plus rescues neuter their bunnies, give them a full health check and usually worm them so you will generally be getting a healthier bunny.

The general consensus is that one more pet bought from a pet shop such as PAH is one less that is stuck in a rescue. The more people who go to rescues the less bunnies there will be there in desperate need of a home. If you think about it, if you don't buy that cute little baby bun, someone else less knowledgable will (cause its a cute baby bun :roll:) but if you don't rescue a bun, the chances of it finding a new home are MUCH slimmer.

I know baby bunnies are cute but adult bunnies can be just as cute, if not more so! My Frankie came to me at 1 year old and he is beautiful and so, so friendly !

You have summed it up perfectly. Also, rescue buns are great for first time owners as rescues usually arm you with an idiots guide to bunny care before your allowed anywhere near a bunny.

Whilst P@H adoption centre is a step in the right direction they do not usually neuter their bunnies. They are again also on show in the shop which must be a stressful process for them.

Can i also add this.... even though its a baby bun and you think you can tame it from a young age i would be wary, their behaviour can change dramatically. Let me just give you my personal example (please don't take it to heart as every bun is different).

My bun Fidget i got from a breeder :)oops: - i didn't know any better back then) when she was 8 weeks old. She is, on the whole, a LOVELY bun but can be a bit cheeky and flighty. She has never bitten agressively but will nip for attention etc..

My other bun Frankie was a rescue. He didn't come from a rescue centre but would have ended up n one anyway. His owner could no longer cope with him (has a missing tear duct so eye needs bathing every day :roll:) I contacted his previous owner to inform her of rescues and ended up taking him myself. Now he has NEVER bitten, nor shown any signs of agression he is amazingly friendly, will voluntarily put his head on my lap for me to bathe his eye and for nose rubs. The most friendly bun i have ecer experienced, and a rescue!

My housemate's bunny Lola is a PAH bunny. She is extremely aggressive (towards me anyway) grunts, chrages, boxes, bites you name it. They let her run around the kitchen sometimes and making tea is a nightmare as she will follow my feet and attack them.

Obviously this example is personal but it just goes to shpow that buying a baby bunny from PAH doesn't necessarily mean they will be the most friendly and well behaved becaue they can be trained :)

Also, at a rescue, the staff are experts, you will always be able to contact them for help with anything! i doubt the PAH staff would even remember you, let alone your bun if you went in for help. It's totally up to you where you get your bun from but i hope we can help your decsion :D

I got my bunny a couple of years ago from pets at home. While I found it good that it was a baby bunny and could see it grow and teach it things I would defo get anyone I know thinking of getting one to rescue one. But only reason I got mine at P@H was that I didn't know a lot about rabbits at the time and there wasn't much info on rescue centers in my area.

I'm trying get another bunny just now so mine has a friend and it will defo be a rescue bunny.

oh, but dont p@h rescue do the same thing?

Sometimes they are unwanted bunnies yes, but, they are also display bunnies that they are unable to sell they put in there sometimes. My friend who works there informed me of this. But again, with PAH adoption, you wont get the kind of support and help from the staff. And if you adopt from a rescue the bun, in most cases, will be neutered and fully vaccinated already

My very first bunny, a beautiful blue eyed white lop, was from Petsmart as it was called then! He lived just three days and the vet said he'd already been ill when we got him - only at the time I wasn't experienced with rabbits and didn't know... (this was 10 years ago). After Casper, we did buy another 4 bunnies from a different pet shop, and one of them is my now 10-year old Benji! But since I became aware of rescue rabbits, all my bunnies over the last 7 years are rescue bunnies and so will my future ones be.

That's why I wouldn't buy from P&H or any other pet shop now.

Vera

Last edited:
Is that where you are getting your new bunny from....

I have my own views on PAH adoptions, but what I don't like is that they have NO clue where the rabbits are going to live, or in what conditions. There are genuine cases in the adoption section, but i've known them to split up bonded pairs, rehome due to the fact the rabbit is perhaps a little aggressive (no mention about how neutering could help) and give poor advice. Not all store are like that, but my local one is terrible, not just where rabbits are concerned.

Of course they don't home check, so they don't know if the rabbit is going to end up living in a tiny hutch :)

do you know if the durham ones any good, ? x

go to an established rescue if you can they wil have full helath history of bunny all ages and sizes wil ask for only a small donation can bond for you (needs ot be done both buns nuetered in a neutral area and by someone who knows what is right or wrong during bonding ie chasing nipping humping ok and locking on not) to avoid injurys. if bonding babie sbefore neutere theere is a chance they will fall out when sexual maturity reaches. honestly also the rescue will have neutered and vaccianted for you thus saving you countles spennies. x

go to an established rescue if you can they wil have full helath history of bunny all ages and sizes wil ask for only a small donation can bond for you (needs ot be done both buns nuetered in a neutral area and by someone who knows what is right or wrong during bonding ie chasing nipping humping ok and locking on not) to avoid injurys. if bonding babie sbefore neutere theere is a chance they will fall out when sexual maturity reaches. honestly also the rescue will have neutered and vaccianted for you thus saving you countles spennies. x

Im getting recues:) xx

Back