• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected EC....., treatment?

Ragtag

New Kit
Hi noticed one of my little bunnies was off colour on monday morning, gave him the usual tummy rubs and a little infacol to see if it was wind, but by the time I got home from work, he didn't look at all well, he was just lying around and then when I got him to move, he was really wobbly. Rushed him to an emergency vet who kept him in overnight, he was given gut stimulating drugs, a steroid injection and some fibreplex to maintain him. They said all his base lines eg temperature etc were normal. By morning they felt he had perked up, but still concerned because no poo, but they were unable to make a clear diagnosis. I took him back to my normal vets who also kept him in all day, feeding him fibreplex and monitoring him. They suspect EC and so are treating him for that, I have baytril twice a day, been started on panacur and continue with fibreplex. They said he was fine go go home.

However, he is still wobbly when he tries to clean andhops around too much. Is this treatable, or is it inevitable I will lose him, I am just so worried, I can't sleep for worrying and apart from monitoring and administering his medication, I just don't know what else I can do. He is eating very little, seen him munch a few bits of hay and nibble at some greens, there has been some tiny poo in a mucous. Sorry for the long post, I feel ill myself with worry........

Any other advice/ideas welcome.

Ragtag
xx

He needs an anti-inflammatory med eg Metacam. This is an essential part of the treatment for EC as it is inflammation caused by the EC spores which results in cell destruction and permanent longterm damage.
Minimising inflammation is, as stated, ESSENTIAL Although he had a steroid on monday this will 'wear off' in a few days and from then on a NSAID can be given

If he is not eating much you may need to give supportive syringe feeds. He may also require a gut motility stimulant (Metoclopromide) to try to re-establish good gut motility

I hope your Bun recovers, it is possible but some Buns are left with longterm balance and mobility problems. Often they can cope with this very well. They may just require assistance with keeping themself clean :)

Last edited:
Back