• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petplan Insurance

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
How long does it usually take to get the claim money? My vets have taken 3 weeks :)evil:) to sign the bloomin' form so it's only just been sent off and i'm skint!!

I had the letter saying you claim form has arrived and being dealt with within about 10 days of me giving it to my vets. Then they say ten days to make their decision to pay out or not.

wait wait wait! i was going to go with petplan to get Binx insured with PetPlan but I thought if you got your pet insured if anything happened then they have to pay for it thats the whole point of insurance :? i know they wont pay for Vacs and Neutering and nail clipping but what about operations and medication and stuff? :?:?:?

wait wait wait! i was going to go with petplan to get Binx insured with PetPlan but I thought if you got your pet insured if anything happened then they have to pay for it thats the whole point of insurance :? i know they wont pay for Vacs and Neutering and nail clipping but what about operations and medication and stuff? :?:?:?

You should probably have a read of the full terms and conditions, it's a little boring but at least you will know what is covered.

The basics are, they won't pay a claim if

1. The pet already had this condition when you started the insurance
  2. The pet had a previous condition before the insurance started that is linked to the current condition
  3. The condition was caused by yourself
  4. Dental problems where the pet has not had a dental checkup in the last 12 months
  5. Any treatments the vet does not consider necessary
  6. Complications arising from elective surgeries like neutering
  7. Any treatments where a vaccine is available but the pet was not vaccinated
  8. There are other more specific conditions they won't cover

The way I understood it was that dentals for bunnies weren't covered at all.... I will recheck this.. as I thought it applied to cats/dogs who hadn't had a dental examination in the last 12 months and no dental deburr etc for bunnies :D

In section 1a What we will not pay.. clause number 14. The cost of trimming, burring or rasping rabbits’ teeth.

So it looks like they do not cover rabbit's dentals.

It's here... https://www.petplan.co.uk/assets/pdf/terms_conditionsCFL.pdf

It is a pretty important thing to know really as so many buns need their teeth doing - hence why the insurance won't cover it! Not sure how it fairs for probs following a dental like stasis, antibiotics for tongue wounds caused by teeth etc etc....

I am thinking better to put the money in my Terramundi pot and save it myself cos at least then I CAN use it to pay for dentals! It will cost be £50+ a month for 5 of my buns.. I have another 4 I also want to insure! EEkkk!

Last edited:
Yes those things seen as routine like the burring. I don't think it says they won't pay for other non-routine things that might require tooth removal etc.

I don't think it says they won't pay for other non-routine things that might require tooth removal etc.

I knew I'd seen details on here of them paying up for some dental work: (incisor removal in the case of the link)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155192

It will be a case of the bunny has to be insured before it's deemed to be a pre-existing condition though, so it's probably a good idea to start the insurance before the bunny even sees a vet.

Petplan paid out over £400 no problem for my last rabbit for hepatic coccidiosis treatment, it probably took about a week or so for them to pay out, i have had no problems with them and found them really helpful when i have spoken to them :)

my vets try and word it very carefully to get the teeth bills paid :D EG: when dude had his done, they checked his spine etc and they put down that they dis his teeth as a last resort to solving the problem, not as the main reason of his op.

Back