• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just had my boy castrated...

Popsicle

New Kit
Hi, i'm completely new to this forum but from what i've read on a few threads so far i think it's going to be extremely helpful.

I've just had my boy castrated a week ago, his girlfriend Poppy is currently living in my bedroom until he is all healed.

Does anybody know of it not being a good idea putting a castrated male with a not yet spayed female. Will she try and attack him at all?

I've been giving them 15 minute bonding session each evening and they just cuddle each other the whole time, but Zebedee (my boy) just constantly tries to hump Poppy. Will that stop in time? One more question, how long should i leave them separated for as i've been told that she will be able to get pregnant, ARGH! Would love to have kits but don't have the room :(

Anna :p

Hiya...welcome!

Hope your little boy is doing ok.

I wouldn't put them together for a few weeks - I think some people on here have mentioned 4 - 6 weeks. This will allow him to be completely free of all baby making stuffs.

I don't rekon you should have put them together before hand otherwise you might have a pregnant girl on your hands now. eeeek

Welcome to the forums!

A neutered buck can be fertile up to a month or so after the procedure. It would be best to keep them apart until 4 weeks have passed. It might already be too late, but let's hope not!

I would let him completely heal (7-10 days is the standard), and keep them in cages next to one another. If they are already bonded, I wouldn't want to undo what was done, but this can be hard when he can still get her pregnant.

Someone with more bonding experience should be along, but that's all my knowledge!

It's possible (although not very likely) she could be pregnant. I would take her to be spayed immediately.

Ahhh no, i've made sure that he hasn't actually mounted her, heh! Everytime he attempts to go near her back i quickly pick him up, he does get very grumpy though, poor boy!

Yeah, i thought a month would be about right, just to be on the safe side.

I just let them sniff and cuddle each other for about 15 mins every night so they can get to know each other, all is going well so far...no fighting or nipping, just kisses and cuddling.

It's possible (although not very likely) she could be pregnant. I would take her to be spayed immediately.

She is only 10 weeks old so a little too young to be spayed yet. I have to wait until she's 5 months i do believe. I'm 95% sure she isn't pregnant as i didn't let him get that far.

If she's only 10 weeks, it's highly unlikely that she's pregnant. I don't think they reach sexual maturity until they're about 4 months. Do you plan on taking Zebedee to the surgery with Poppy? It could be a great comfort to her and help to keep them bonded through the surgery. :)

OOh i haven't thought about that to be honest. If it's recommended then i certainly will, as long as he doesn't cause her any harm.

I know that you're not meant to put does in with bucks after castration as they have a tendancy to lick the wound?

I wouldnt put them together again, even for a short time with u watching, untill he is definately infertile. Its very easy for accidents to happen and for a small baby to get pregnant could be very damaging to her.

Once he is healed you can probably start bonding them before she is spayed. It isnt recommended usually but with her being young she wont be too hormonal anyway so you might be alright.

Back