• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental Question

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I have never had a rabbit who needs Dental and after recent Vet trips it would appear i am going to be booking a bunny in shortly for a dental.

May seem pointless but what do i need to know?

I am also considering changing Vets and obviously knowing some of my bunnies are going to need dentals is there anything i can/should ask possible new Vets?

:oops:

Sorry have read it but my brain has turned to mush and can't think of any reply :oops: Normally I ask for them to have gas only GA as mine are usually old and they recover better but this isn't so much of an issue with younger buns.

I'm sure someone will come up with an intelligent answer soon :lol:

I've got a dental bun but i'm completely useless :oops: The only thing i can suggest is that when you are looking for a new vet, make sure they are experienced with rabbits - i know it sounds obvious but i assumed all vets would be good with rabbits but my buns have seen some right clowns. Also, dentals can be expensive, Phoebe An's dental just cost me £103 :shock: It's a good idea to put some money away each month towards it. Also, if your bun is going in for a dental, have some critical care in the house - it's so handy if they won't eat. Sorry, i'm not being much help, hopefully somebody better will be along soon :oops:

ETA: When your bun goes in for the op, send a tub of their favourite food with them to encourage them to start eating after the GA :)

Last edited:
Thanks and that is actually really useful.

How soon will the bunny eat after the Dental?
What pain relief should they be given.

Hugbut, thats the exact reason i am considering changing. Although the actual Vets seems good, its the emergency side of it i arent impressed with :?

That seems to vary from bun to bun, some eat straight away others can take a little while. Again the level of pain relief needed also varies. If the spurs have caused damage to soft tissue they are understandably going to take a little longer to recover and need more pain relief :)

Cant really help with this hun. We had Barney, who was a rescue bun. he needed an emergency dental the day after we got him. All i remember is, when he came home we had to add water to his pellets to make them mushy, and we blended his food. :) He also came home with painkillers. The bill was around £180 :?

Which bunny is off for a dental? Paws crossed :) xXx

Cant really help with this hun. We had Barney, who was a rescue bun. he needed an emergency dental the day after we got him. All i remember is, when he came home we had to add water to his pellets to make them mushy, and we blended his food. :) He also came home with painkillers. The bill was around £180 :?

Which bunny is off for a dental? Paws crossed :) xXx

Thanks Becky.

Its Lottie :)

Thanks and that is actually really useful.

Hugbut, thats the exact reason i am considering changing. Although the actual Vets seems good, its the emergency side of it i arent impressed with :?

Phoebe was eating soft dandelions almost as soon as i got her home (which was about 4 hours after she came round) she ate whilst she was still at the vet too, she hasn't fancied any hard food yet though. I'm not sure what/if any pain relief Pheebs was given - she didn't seem to be in any discomfort afterwards though, just sleepy. I do know that she was given a gut stimulant, so it might be worth asking the vet about that too.

P.S If your not happy with the vet, change surgery, it's worrying enough having a bun going in for an op without having to fret about the person administering the treatment. You need to be 100% happy with the people you are leaving your baby with. :wave:

Last edited:
Phoebe was eating soft dandelions almost as soon as i got her home (which was about 4 hours after she came round) she ate whilst she was still at the vet too, she hasn't fancied any hard food yet though. I'm not sure what/if any pain relief Pheebs was given - she didn't seem to be in any discomfort afterwards though, just sleepy. I do know that she was given a gut stimulant, so it might be worth asking the vet about that too.

P.S If your not happy with the vet, change surgery, it's worrying enough having a bun going in for an op without having to fret about the person administering the treatment. You need to be 100% happy with the people you are leaving your baby with. :wave:

Thanks for that :)

I have changed so many times. The Vets at my surgery are really nice and i feel confident in them. However its the Emergency Vets, i have had 3animals admitted there, 2rabbits and a chinchilla, they all passed away. I cant blame the Vets, however there service throughout the process of them being admitted isnt fair and i felt in the "dark" all the time :roll:

Back