• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh no.......bonding my boys soon :S.....Bonding in process......Had a Fight!!!!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
If everything goes to plan then my boys will be coming to stay here on Thursday to be bonded :shock:

I will be setting up a pen in the spare room for them where i will be sleeping to keep my eye on them!

Now because ive have 2 other bunnies in there before will i need to vinegar everything? Im so nervous, my second bonding and my first male/male bonding :shock:

Im off Thursday, Friday,Sat and Sun but working Monday so if everything seems ok on Thurs, Fri, Sat would they be able to go home Sunday night?

Also is there anything else i need to do/get.....

Set up pen,
got New litter tray,
New food bowl (wont be using to start with),
New water bowl and Bottle,
A few new toys,
A new cardboard box to play in,
Lots and Lots of hay,
Newspaper to rip up,
Lots of veg......

Anything im missing or should leave out?
Any tips would be helpful and vibes for a succesful bond :)

Last edited:
Hope the bonding goes well and is successful :)
Sounds like you have everything you will need. I find it is best to start off with them in a carrier together. Maybe you could bring them over to yours in the same carrier and then keep them there for a little while before putting them in the pen. If everything goes well it should be ok for them to go home on Sunday as long as the cage is thoroughly cleaned and they don't have too much space to start with.

Hope the bonding goes well and is successful :)
Sounds like you have everything you will need. I find it is best to start off with them in a carrier together. Maybe you could bring them over to yours in the same carrier and then keep them there for a little while before putting them in the pen. If everything goes well it should be ok for them to go home on Sunday as long as the cage is thoroughly cleaned and they don't have too much space to start with.

Thanks so much Ashley...Ive just never bonded 2 males and im Really dreading it :oops::lol:
I know they are suited as Skye is very confident and i know he will be the boss :lol: and Gizmo is really laid back and cuddly so he will no doubt be the one to get humped :roll:

Oh to disinfected and remove all traces of Skye from the cage do i use Bleach or vinegar?
Will be in this before getting a big NIC setup :D

Thanks again:wave:

I have only bonded boys once but it was quite an easy bonding. Like your two one was confident and the other laid back and after the initial humping they got on really well :D I'm not sure if I was just lucky though :lol:

You can use both bleach and vinegar but use them seperately. Use the vinegar first to get rid of any scent and urine marks then rinse it out with water. Then you can use a bleach solution to disinfect it and then rinse it out again :)

Oh ****** the nerves are starting to set in :(
What if this doesnt work...then my boys will be lonely :(

Please can i have some good bonding vibes.....my boys and i will certainly need them :lol: Its going to be a long weekend :roll:

Sending lots of vibes...
if it doesnt work out.. you could always get them a girlfriend each :lol:

Sending lots of vibes...
if it doesnt work out.. you could always get them a girlfriend each :lol:

If it doesnt work out then Gizmo will be coming to live with Fudge and Skye can get a new girlfriend ;):lol: Not that the Bf knows it yet :lol:

Good luck! Try not to get too nervous about it, it will either work or it wont. You dont have much influence over whether or not they will get on.

Just keep the space small, and if there is any scuffles stick them in the carrier and take them for a drive.

Good luck! Try not to get too nervous about it, it will either work or it wont. You dont have much influence over whether or not they will get on.

Just keep the space small, and if there is any scuffles stick them in the carrier and take them for a drive.

They have a setup made of NIC cubes its 2 by 2 by 3 ATM if it needs to be smaller its easily fixed :D

As nervous as i am im also a bit excited to see how they are :D

They have a setup made of NIC cubes its 2 by 2 by 3 ATM if it needs to be smaller its easily fixed :D

As nervous as i am im also a bit excited to see how they are :D

That sounds good. I started off on Sunday with 3 by 2 which then got reduced to 2 by 2 and then for a while went right down to 1 by 2 to put a stop to the humping. Mine are now quite happily living in a 6ft by 3ft NIC setup with three levels. I felt really mean putting them in such a small space a few days ago but it doesnt do any harm for a short time while bonding.

Hope it goes well sending bonding vibes!:D Keep us posted as I'd like to know how you get on Ill be bonding my two boys once they have both been deplummed:lol: Good luck!!:D:D x

Bonding started.....

Ok the bonding has begun,
We brought the boys over together in the car and they were in a cardboard box with me looking after them. They huddled together and they went into their temp cage together and are now sat in the litter tray together :D

Skye is really scared and doesnt want to move where as Gizmo is eating hay and moving about and doesnt really care whats going on :roll:

They have both munched a bit of carrot :D

Lets hope everything stays ok and no fighting happens *crosses fingers*

Will add pics later :wave:

Gizmo is happy and jumping about not bothering with skye but Skye is just sitting there petrified and has been thumping his foot :roll:

Hope he settles in soon and perks up a bit!

I am sure he will come out of his shell soon. It took Snowdrop a few hours before she moved, she would just sit in a corner cowering. She is now still a bit wary of Strawberry (although i cant blame her, he is a real live wire).

Well he is running about and eating plenty of hay :D No fights as of yet although Gizmo has had a hump of Skye who didnt mind and just took it :shock:

I though Skye would be the more domanant one but it seems to be Gizmo!

Off to get my dinner as bf is here to look after them :lol:

Update 10/04/09

Well everything was fine last night and this morning.....Skye was grooming Gizmo and they were happy sleeping this afternoon.

About 10 mins ago they had a fight, i dont know who started it but i has half-way up the stairs and heard them at it.....there is a fair amount of hair but i cant see any physical damage done.

I almost had a heart attack and hated seeing them like that! I gave them a massive pile of hay and their pellets and they are fine now.......Will thefight cause any bother or was it a one off?

Ive never bonded 2 males and im worried this isnt going to work!

Any advice?

Well everything was fine last night and this morning.....Skye was grooming Gizmo and they were happy sleeping this afternoon.

About 10 mins ago they had a fight, i dont know who started it but i has half-way up the stairs and heard them at it.....there is a fair amount of hair but i cant see any physical damage done.

I almost had a heart attack and hated seeing them like that! I gave them a massive pile of hay and their pellets and they are fine now.......Will thefight cause any bother or was it a one off?

Ive never bonded 2 males and im worried this isnt going to work!

Any advice?

Sorry to hear they've had a fight. I think you just need to wait and see how they are together as time goes on. It may just be a case of them sorting out the pecking order. I have two males but they're brothers so didnt have to bond them as such, but they've had their scuffles and Billy likes to assert his authority on a regular basis. There is quite often clumps of poor Gizmo's fur in the shed or garden where Billy has pulled it out. I think male/male works best where one is quite submissive. Gizmo doesnt retaliate and just runs from Bill so theres no major fights. If one of your boys is happy to back down and let the other be dominant then hopefully they will be ok. If they both want to be boss then there could be problems.

Good luck, hope it all works out

I would keep an eye on them for the next few hours. It was possibly a bit of chasing & nipping which is to be expected rather than a full blown locking on fight if they now seem ok together but I'd probably stay up and sit with them for a few hours to make sure they are ok.

Back