• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pain relief, need quick response please

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Besides metacam, rymadyl and vetergestic what other possible pain relief can be given?

Just need to be armed with the right info for the vets in case he isn't very good. Don't have time to get books out as behind on feeding and need to leave soon. Steve had to do a big bunnyrun today, not great timing!

Emmy-Lou is in serious pain we are very worried

I think that is it. There is hypnorm which is a morphine type sedatory drug.. Dexadreson / dexamethasone which is an anti inflammatory with an anti-stress/anti-shock effect on the bun.

There is a morphine type one they use in cats/dogs which has been used for buns T.. something sorry I can't remember it's name - I found it on RU last week...

Hope she is OK x x x

^ Is the T one Tramadol? I know that's something they use in the US, not sure if that's available over here (as in, Tramadol is used in rabbits, but I'm not sure if that's the one you are talking about).

Liz if this link works you should be able to flick through some of the relevant pages in FHB's book

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...i=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PRA1-PT88,M1

Hope Emmy-Lou is ok :(

Some of the pages are missing - it also talks about narcotic analgesia - buprenorphine, butorphanol, fentanyl/fluanisone, pethidine. I have a feeling you'd be hard pushed to get any of these to take home with you though, and they tend to be short acting.

My previous vet preferred rimadyl (carprofen) over metacam for 'bad' pain because she felt it gave a level of pain relief more akin to the narcotic types, but it can affect the liver so shouldn't be given to patients with known liver problems.

Last edited:
^ Is the T one Tramadol? I know that's something they use in the US, not sure if that's available over here (as in, Tramadol is used in rabbits, but I'm not sure if that's the one you are talking about).

Tramadol is available in the UK and we use it in rabbits. In my experience it is not as reliable as other opioids and needs much higher doses than published in general literature.
The choice depends greatly on the cause of the pain. Local anaesthetics can be very effective, but obviously only for problems in a focal area. Otherwise non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Metacam, Rimadyl) and opioids (buprenorphine [vetergesic], tramadol) are the most common drugs used for dosing at home. In a hospital situation there is a much wider range of medications that can be used.

Opioids and Combinations:
Butorphanol (only lasts 2-4 hours)
Buprenorphine (lasts 6-12 hours)
Fentanyl-fluanisone

NSAIDS:

Metacam
Carprofen
Ketoprofen

Back