• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sneezing advice needed please

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
My belle woke me up this morning by sneezing non stop about 10-15 times. Her eyes look like they are a little watery but her eyes tend to do that and when i took het to the vets about her eyes they checked her teeth and said she was fine.

She is absolutley fine in herself; eating, pooing, drinking and weeing - and as naughty as usual. Does anyone have an advice?

Lisa

i know this could sound stupid but... could she have hay fever? :oops:
My friends gpiggy has hayfever... :lol:
i hope shes ok xx

i know this could sound stupid but... could she have hay fever? :oops:
My friends gpiggy has hayfever... :lol:
i hope shes ok xx

Not stupid at all - Lily had hayfever :) Keep an eye on her though, if she's just done it once this morning it could just be that she got a bit of dust up her nose or something. Frequently sneezing is something to pick up on.

If you know someone with hayfever (perhaps a family member or someone who lives in the same area as you) then try and see if they are both suffering the sneezes at the same time.

Do make sure a vet checks her out though to eliminate any other possibility (sounds like you may have done so anyway!) If they cant find anything wrong with her then it could just be hayfever or something irritating her nose :) On the other end of the scale though, if she is happy and well enough and springing around full of energy then don't let them fob you off with a chest infection if you think she is otherwise perky and energetic :censored:

Last edited:
Not stupid at all - Lily had hayfever :) Keep an eye on her though, if she's just done it once this morning it could just be that she got a bit of dust up her nose or something. Frequently sneezing is something to pick up on.

If you know someone with hayfever (perhaps a family member or someone who lives in the same area as you) then try and see if they are both suffering the sneezes at the same time.

Do make sure a vet checks her out though to eliminate any other possibility. If they cant find anything wrong with her then it could just be hayfever or something irritating her nose :) On the other end of the scale though, if she is happy and well enough and springing around full of energy then don't let them fob you off with a chest infection if you think she is otherwise perky and energetic :censored:

Weirdly, my brother and sister-in-law live next door to me and her hayfever's been awful this past couple of days .

Ill keep an eye on it. Thanks for the advice!!

:love:

The vets that BWFCAngel uses isalso my vets and they wouldn't fob her off with a chest infection they are a very thorough vets.
Lisa, have you changed the hay as if it is a little dusty then it could also be that:D glad she is still being her naughty self though:lol::lol:

Weirdly, my brother and sister-in-law live next door to me and her hayfever's been awful this past couple of days .

Ill keep an eye on it. Thanks for the advice!!

:love:

I could always tell because my husband suffered at the same time as the bunny ;)

If it is hayfever, we took Lily to see Frances Harcourt-Brown to have it officially diagnosed and at the time (this is 4 years ago now, maybe 5) she said that there was no specific rabbit treatment available to prescribe, but that she had heard of one other case a couple of years earlier in the same breed (English) and its owner successfully gave small doses of liquid Piriton to help his rabbit. I wouldn't advise just going ahead and doing that though, we never thought Lily's got bad enough to warrent medical intervention so we didn't try it out :?

Lily's hayfever reoccured for several weeks every Spring for the following 2 years, she didn't get it in the 4th year of her life.

The vets that BWFCAngel uses isalso my vets and they wouldn't fob her off with a chest infection they are a very thorough vets.
Lisa, have you changed the hay as if it is a little dusty then it could also be that:D glad she is still being her naughty self though:lol::lol:

Afraid I didn't know the vets in question but wanted to throw it in my post anyway, since the first vet we saw prescribed many weeks of antibiotics for Lily's 'chest infection' and wanted her PTS in the end when it didn't cure it :censored: Glad to hear your vets are not bad ones!

Last edited:
Is she moulting? If so, all that loose fur could be iritating her nose. Also, have you changed anything around the house later, such as cleaning product or air freshener? Or any changes to her brand of hay or bedding? Also, has the vet had a good look up her nose to check if a bit of hay or anything has got lodged up there?

My Teddy went through a sneezing patch for several weeks last spring and I took him to the vet several times, as I worried it could be snuffles (although he had no discharge from his nose) I hadn't changed anything that I could think of. He had a course of baytril in case it was early snuffles but it didn't stop the sneezing. In the end, the vet concluded it was some sort of allergy and he had a low dose of steroids for a fortnight, but again it didn't seem to make a difference. Then suddenly, it just cleared itself up after a few weeks! I'm interested to see if it reappears this year!

Hope you find a solution or it dissappears soon!

Yeah could be the hay. Ill have a see. Thanks Auntie Kay!!! As usual ;)

Just thought I'd better clarify, the steroids were to determine if the sneezing was due to an allergy. That is, did the sneezing lessen while Teddy was on them. They weren't to "treat" the sneezing. Not sure long term steriods are good for any animal (humans included!) where there is only a "minor" problem, such as a mild allergy. :)

Back