• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping a foot wound clean

Stator

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to keep a foot wound dry and clean. Wally is stuck in the hutch for a couple days because the vet said we have to keep the wound on the top of his foot dry and clean. The hutch is big (6.5ft x 2.5ft and two levels) but it still feels cruel keeping him locked up :(

I guess what I want is some kind of tiny sock to put over his foot and keep it clean so I could let him out for a bit of exercise, but I can't think of anything I could put on there that he wouldn't immediately shake off. He's walking and running fine so there's no reason why he couldn't run around a bit.

I can't bring him inside as he will just be too scared of the new environment.

Any ideas?

Peacocks sell some great little baby socks that are just the right size for bunny feet. they are the smallest baby size and are white terry towelling so really soft. They are £2.50 for 3 pairs. I normally put a bit of micropore loosely round the tops of them to stop them falling down :)

Can't the buns just push them off easily?

I'll go to matalan after work and see if I can find some as peacocks will be closed :)

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile
pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long
as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a
2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

In your case, on top of the above, there is Velcro roll tape, you then roll the tape on the pad, that way, it's nice and firm.

when Goofball accidentally snapped her finger, on top of bandage, I use the above method velcro roll tape, and it locks the finger in that position so no more damage will be caused

Can't the buns just push them off easily?

I'll go to matalan after work and see if I can find some as peacocks will be closed :)

Mine don't seem bothered by them. Like I said I put a bit of micropore tape round the top to stop them rolling down or flying off when they hop, but it doesn't need to be too tight :)

What about a "finger stool" - think thats what they're called, a waterproof finger shaped thing to keep a human finger dressing dry, get them at the chemist in different sizes. Bit of tape to hold it on? Never used it for rabbits but used Vetrap for horses and dogs, like a bandage but it sticks to itself, not to the animal, easily cut off.

What about a "finger stool" - think thats what they're called, a waterproof finger shaped thing to keep a human finger dressing dry, get them at the chemist in different sizes. Bit of tape to hold it on? Never used it for rabbits but used Vetrap for horses and dogs, like a bandage but it sticks to itself, not to the animal, easily cut off.

I use vetwrap too but with a softer dressing underneath :)

I got some baby socks from matalan and tried them on him. It seemed to stay on okay since I used some tape about the 'knee' on his back leg, so it didn't slide off. It was VERY hard to get it on him though, he is a very uncooperative bun :? He spent quite a while trying to get it off again but he did do a few hops around so at least it got him out of the hutch for a while. Guess I'll try again tomorrow, hope it heals soon because he is a very struggly bun.

Back