• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GMTV rabbits in crisis

I watched an advert for this and the advice being given was sensible.....
have a bonded pair, make sure they have lots of hay and lots of room to exercise in. Although it featured rabbits sat on children's laps:cry: not in an example of the proper environment they should be kept in......

perhaps the feature at 8.20 would have been more detailed....

The 7 o clock one didn't seem too bad, was about teeth, large hutch, big run and need friends.

I didin't see it but someone has contacted me asking if (as shown in the feature) rabbits can be allowed in a run where the base of it is covered in Bark Chips. Any ideas if this is safe?

I have never considered it but I supposed provided they don't eat it, it could work. Anyone any experience of this?

Helen

I have used bark chips in runs before but wouldn't do it again. My buns use to have a huge grassed run with chicken wire under it but by winter it was mud so use to bark chip in winter and returf every summer. The buns did nibble on the chips and it is a right :censored: to keep clean. They never had any ill effects from nibbling on them but I don't think I would risk it again.

I never saw the TV clip but think the article in the link is very good:)

I had to leave for work before it came on but went on the GMTV website to look when got to work.
Lets hope its helps people understand what bunnies need. Although not all the info is 100% as mentioned before its alot better than alot of peoples perceptions on how you should keep bunnies, hopefully it will re-educate them to read more on the requirements of their rabbit and make the changes needed! x

I thought it was great to put on TV before Easter. It showed people buying babies from a farm for Easter:roll:

I didin't see it but someone has contacted me asking if (as shown in the feature) rabbits can be allowed in a run where the base of it is covered in Bark Chips. Any ideas if this is safe?

I guess it depends on what type of tree the bark chips are from, and whether they have been chemically treated to stop them from composting down easily...and whether the buns decide to try and eat them!

Would have been nice if the presenter had been shown how to hold a rabbit correctly first :evil:. Suppose it shows how tricky they can be to hold if you are a bit clueless.

The way he holds that bunny is horrible :cry:
Poor thing must be terrified and he laughs :evil: Im happy something has been put on tv but no doubt no one will pay any attention or care :evil: I wish people had to pay for a lisence to have any animal and they were checked up on from time to time.....oh how i wish!

The poor bun he is holding!!
I think its good that it was on gmtv... but who would take much notice of this? i hope many people do :(

In away I think it was good that he was having so much trouble holding the bunny, it just proves that they are not cuddly pets. If a grown man has problems holding it maybe parents will think twice before buying them for their children to cuddle :)

Back