• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why..ohh..why? xx

why do people complain, (i think make mine chocolate has a point!), but why do people complain about kids getting buns at easter? x

Last edited:
Because most children who get a pet get bored with it within a week or two.
They live in a TINY hutch/cage all their lives with little/no human contact.
Won't be spayed/neutered/vaccinated.
In extreme cases, they won't be fed/watered/cleaned out.

A lot of children are not mature enough to handle looking after another life, but their parents leave them to it. Its the animal that suffers.

It's because they know that most children who get pets will get bored of them in a few weeks / months and then the animal will suffer from neglect.

It may not be the case for everyone, I'm sure there are plenty of kids out there who look after their animals well, but there are also an extremely large number of animals who end up neglected this way too.

It's mostly the case.
My friends animals don't get as much attention as they really should (and she's 18!) and she just keeps getting more.
And then she said they were going to get a rabbit for her 3 year old sister, I could have slapped her.

Well... when your a little older, and involved with a rescue, you'll see just how many people hand buns in a few weeks after easter because 'the kids got bored' :? People still think they can buy a rabbit for the kids and keep it in a 2ft hutch down the garden unfortunately :( MMC is a campaign to try and make people buy the kids chocolate bunnies to avoid all the unwanted bunnies after easter :(

Because most children who get a pet get bored with it within a week or two.
They live in a TINY hutch/cage all their lives with little/no human contact.
Won't be spayed/neutered/vaccinated.
In extreme cases, they won't be fed/watered/cleaned out.

A lot of children are not mature enough to handle looking after another life, but their parents leave them to it. Its the animal that suffers.

Totally agree!

Also I know of a relative of my sisters freind who was one of these stupid people!:censored: Well she bought a beautiful dwarf lop from pets and home loved it when she first got him even though she didnt know anything about bunnies, as he was never vaccinated or neutered...
Anyway then six months down the line she got bored of him (he gew into quite a large dwarf lop) it got to the point where she couldnt even be bothered to feed him so she used to pay her little brother £5 to feed him:(:(
Then she asked my sisters friend (her cousin) if she wanted him and well she said yes and shes no better at looking after him she picks him by the scruf of the neck, hes never seen a vet in his life:( I have tried so hard to talk to the girl and her mother Ive bought better food for him given them advice on neutering and vaccinations but they think its a waste of money!!!!!!!!!
I looked after him while they went on holiday last year and he is the most loving bunny you could ever meet I even offered to have him her mum said yes you can take him and the girl said no I love him!!! :censored: If she loves him why wont she let him have a better life he so deserves:(:(:(
Thats why bunnies or any animals shouldnt be bought as presents!
The girl has still got him today his name is bubbles and I know he lives a very loney life in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden:(:(:(

Because quite often bunnies get bought as easter presents for children - just because they are cute, cuddley & adorable. Then very soon after easter the children get bored & fed up with having to care for them & clean them out - the bunnies then start to suffer & become neglected - if they are lucky they will get taken into a rescue if the rescue has room for them :cry: This is a big reason why so many rescues get overwhelmed with unwanted & neglected bunnies - sorry but I am afraid bunnies do not make 'good' children's pets unless the whole family, most importantly the parents are prepared to be responsible for the bunnies entire life.

If that isn't going to be the case then children should be bought a toy bunny for easter instead :?

Unfortunatly it's just been proved time and time again. Children get bored of rabbits. Sometimes they ask for them and get them then get bored, sometimes they don't ask for them but parents buy them as surprise easter presents and then the kids get bored or suddenly don't want to do it anymore when it's time to clean out the hutch or put your hard-earned pocket money towards vet bills and have no pocket money left for youself to do fun things with your friends.

There are exceptions, my cousin asked for a rabbit since he was 6 years old and his parents always said when he was 10 he could have one. And lo and behold, he became 10 and they kept their promise. I can't say that he would have known what to look for if his rabbit was unwell for the first 2 or 3 years(aside from generally noticing it was 'unwell' - he wouldnt know what various symptoms meant) but he proved to be a wonderful rabbit owner in terms of responsibly keeping it clean, fed, watered, exercised and loved. He's now 18 and the rabbit is still alive, and he still cares for it the same way he did the first day he got him.

Sadly I wish this story was the norm rather than the exception :(

I myself have had 3 'easter bunnies' and though this was nothing more than coincidental timings of rabbits passing away in winter or early spring and waiting until slightly warmer weather to get another. I would still support the ban of rabbit sales during Easter, even though my track record is easter bunnies!

Last edited:
my mum is going to take responcibility 2:)

Good, that's 100% the way it should be.
I had a hamster and rats as a kid, and my mam helped me with them. It gave a brilliant example and she cared about them as much as I did. I didn't have sole responsability of an animal until I turned 16 and was old enough to accept what had to be done.

I got my first rabbit at the age of 14 i looked after him everyday he was definatly my pet:) He had to have his teeth done a few times which my mum and dad paid for.He died age 5 he never came round properly after G.A my mum and dad always let me have pets cause i took responsablity and looked after them,Sadly that isnt the case for most rabbits:(

Ash, unfortunately not all children are like you and not all parents are like your parents.

I think you'll make a wonderful bunny owner, because you've done a lot of research and you and your parents seem to want what's best for the bunnies. Your buns have been planned for a long time too, that makes a big difference.

When parents buy pets for their children, they must realise that THEY are ultimately responsible for their proper care. The buck stops with them.

No pun intended :lol:

When my friends see my animals they ask if they all belong to my children.I always tell them that they are mine and that you shouldnt ever buy a pet for a child unless you are prepared to take over the full responsibility for that pet,as a most children get bored,or grow up and are busy with exams and going out with friends.The parent must be prepared to do this or not have a pet.

i had my first bun when i was about 6. but i looked after it till it was a rip old age of 14. i think it all depends on the kids hun and the parents being responsible for it too. my parents always made sure i had fed snowy but it came to a stage where i just took over. i think some kids do genuinely have a keen interest in animal and some are just fad movers. it's shameful, but i really think the parents are to blame completely. they have to be prepared to look after it and keep the children interested. children have such a short attention span that's not fair to expect them to take full responibility of an animal. it really is shameful.

Back