• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbits - whats best?

pooks

Warren Scout
I already have a female neutered rabbit who is around 3 years old. I took on a male neutered bunny of around the same age although he was an outdoor bunny and he's not taken to living indoors. I've decided it wouldd be best to put him back outdoors (as he's so much happier there) and get another bunny. After much consideration, ive decided that a baby bunny would be best as it's going to live indoors and he MUST be friendly.
My previous house bunny came to me a 8 weeks old and was an absoloute darling. I feel that to get a strong relationship like i had with him, i need a baby rabbit to bond with as soon as possible.
I don' know whether it is best to go to a rescue where i will be helping a rescue and also, if he doesn't get on with my doe, i could potentially return him for a swap, or go to a breeder where its more likely he would have been handled from a very early age. Can anyone advise?

I would go to a rescue! Whilst they dont have very young bunnies as they cant be rehomed untill spayed there are some lovely, VERY friendly bunnies there looking for homes!

He would be more likely to be handled regularly at a rescue imo. I would try there first as like you said if they don't get along they would take him back. Have you thought about a partner for your male outside? If decided on rescue bun it would give you a bit of extra cash to get something for him as you wouldn't have to pay for the neuter. You would have to consider future vet bills however.

I'm sure you have thought long and hard about all of this though, just thinking out loud.

My other problem is, am i doing the right thing putting the male outside? His behaviour towarsd me and my boyfriend is slowly getting worse and he didn't used to grunt and now he gruts at me all the time and has even bitten me when i stroked his head! He seems to tense up when i stroke him. I know he's not used to so much attention and he's not used to being indoors - i feel that at his age, he'd be happier to just go back outside. I wouldn't be able to get another bun for him straight away but i would in time. He was living on his own for ages before i had him and i know he was chased by other rabbits when previously bonded. My doe chases him from time to time.

He would be more likely to be handled regularly at a rescue imo. I would try there first as like you said if they don't get along they would take him back. Have you thought about a partner for your male outside? If decided on rescue bun it would give you a bit of extra cash to get something for him as you wouldn't have to pay for the neuter. You would have to consider future vet bills however.

I'm sure you have thought long and hard about all of this though, just thinking out loud.

Thank you for advice. Vets bills not a worry as i work at a vets and would hve them insured anyway. I can also get cost price food and hay, so quite lucky!

My other problem is, am i doing the right thing putting the male outside? His behaviour towarsd me and my boyfriend is slowly getting worse and he didn't used to grunt and now he gruts at me all the time and has even bitten me when i stroked his head! He seems to tense up when i stroke him. I know he's not used to so much attention and he's not used to being indoors - i feel that at his age, he'd be happier to just go back outside. I wouldn't be able to get another bun for him straight away but i would in time. He was living on his own for ages before i had him and i know he was chased by other rabbits when previously bonded. My doe chases him from time to time.

He may come round when he has some company. I have a male that doesn't like to be touched so I just leave him to it. I try and sit with him and watch him as much as possible, give him treats and only handle him when I need to check him over. He will never be a cuddle bunny but is happy with his lady buns. Maybe a rescue could pair him with an equally shy female. It may help build his confidence.

To be perfectly honest, getting a baby bunny is probably the worst way of getting a new bunny that will definitely be friendly - it sounds as if you were very lucky last time! Baby bunnies change their personalities as soon as they hit teenage hormones and can turn from cute cuddly bunnies into little monsters virtually overnight! How much they've handled doesn't really have a bearing on this, as it's driven by hormones and adult personality.

The best way of getting a friendly bun would be to go to a rescue and find a neutered rabbit (males can be neutered at around 12 weeks old so you may still find a youngster if you have your heart set on it). The rescue will know their personalities and the neutered adult bunnies in particular will have well established personalities that are unlikely to change. A rescue may also be able to help you to bond your bunnies.

Your existing bun that you are thinking of putting outdoors - does he live with the other female at the moment? Personally I think it would be very unkind to separate him from his partner if they are bonded, especially to put him outside, as bunnies are social creatures so a lone bunny outside is not really a good option. If he is bonded, could not the pair of them live outdoors, and you get another bun to live indoors if you really want a houserabbit?

I rescued frankie at 1 year old and he is the most friendly bun you could ask for. He has a missing tear duct so his eye needs bathing every day and when i get the kitchen roll out to do it he just rests his head on my lap and closes his eyes ready he is that docile :love:

Are you planning on getting the bunny your moving outdoors a friend? I dont think it would be fair to put him outside alone :?

I also agree with the above posts. A baby rabbit isnt the way to go - what happens when it reaches maturity and starts to grunt/attack etc? :?

it would be best to go along to a rescue, meet some bunnies and let your current bunny choose their own partner :)

I dont understand why people think rescue bunnies arent handled and arent friendly :? We've had a few posts saying that just lately - my foster bunnies are handled every day, and are very friendly! They are also litter trained, neutered and vaccinated which a baby bunny wouldnt be :?

xXx

Definitely go to a rescue. Rescues will know and be very honest about the personality of the bunny and there are so many bunnies needing homes you're bound to find one that's just right for you x

Back