• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alpaca Farming - picture heavy!

coco1200

Warren Veteran
oh man, I had the best time EVER today! It was the first day doing work experience at Toft Alpacas, and i've enjoyed it so much!
They have loads of alpacas, that they use to show, but primarily for their wool. They are just the sweetest animals ever. People often have this misconception that they are bold, and will spit, but they are the most timid and quite animals ever. The herder, Linda was saying to me that she's not allowed to form bonds between the Alpacas, becuase they often end up 'playing' and boxing with their owners.... they are VERY strong animals :shock:. She cared for them so well, she could name every single one... there was 200-odd there! Also I didn't realise the price tag an alpaca carries.... up to £35,000 for a good stud male!!!!!! :shock:
Today, it was just introductory, and getting to grips with the animals. We did alot of herding, and moving them to different fields. We then got showed how to walk them on a harness, to get them used to it for when they go to the vets/show/another field. I also did some work with the vet, and tested them for Bovine and Avian TB, and then took a blood sample from them! I have enjoyed it SO much!

it is set in the most scenic place ever, and I can't believe this down the road from my house :shock:
IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7763.jpg

5 month old alpacas :love:
IMG_7785.jpg

the female herd
IMG_7772.jpg

:shock:
IMG_7773.jpg

french imports
IMG_7800.jpg

8 week old alpaca baby :love:
IMG_7825.jpg

feeding time for the young girlies
IMG_7862.jpg

:love:
IMG_7881.jpg

and i love this picture!
IMG_7886.jpg

and this is what an alpaca looks like underneath all that wool :lol: love their afros!
IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7907.jpg

Awwwh :love::love: Dans mum lives in the middle of nowhere, and the farm next to her has 2 alpacas.. think i have some pics on my phone :thumb: They are the most adorable things :love:

Did you get to touch any? :oops: :lol: We can never get close enough, theyre really timid :(

What a wonderful place to do work experience though! xXx

Awwwh :love::love: Dans mum lives in the middle of nowhere, and the farm next to her has 2 alpacas.. think i have some pics on my phone :thumb: They are the most adorable things :love:

Did you get to touch any? :oops: :lol: We can never get close enough, theyre really timid :(

What a wonderful place to do work experience though! xXx

yeah I did! I had to hold them, while the vet took blood samples. Also, there was alot of walking with them too, so i got to stroke them (to their dismay :oops:) They have the thickest, and softest coats i've felt. Beats cashmere!

I love those alpacas :D one of my best friends lives next to Toft Alpacas, I love going to her house just to see them!!:love::love:

What an amazing work placement! Have fun :D

I love those alpacas :D one of my best friends lives next to Toft Alpacas, I love going to her house just to see them!!:love::love:

What an amazing work placement! Have fun :D

I know, its an amazing place! I've never seen Draycote Waters until i started their either :oops:. The alpacas are lovely, and so well cared for. You can see that they truly care for their welfare.
I should come and say hello to you while you're in dunchurch... my fund for thay kiln is growing! :lol:

Wow - look at that place! That looks awesome!!!! :D

So cute - they look like they're smiling! hee hee :lol:

Back