• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When four babies become six!

kerry-123

Mama Doe
yep just letting you all know the four kits I found of scooch's weren't the only ones! We have infact..SIX!

yep pic soon :) they are coming in and out of the nest but I think there eyes are only half open?? Is that normal??

How old are they? All rabbits are born blind, they don't open their eyes before they're 10-14 days old.
If they are 14 or older and their eyes aren't open you can try cleaning their eyes with a piece of wet tissue or cotton.

How old are they? All rabbits are born blind, they don't open their eyes before they're 10-14 days old.
If they are 14 or older and their eyes aren't open you can try cleaning their eyes with a piece of wet tissue or cotton.

Okay thank you will do that later then :):)

Okay thank you will do that later then :):)

If the eyes are not open (assuming they are older than 10-14 days) then please wet and open (not forced open though) them ASAP. In my last litter, two of my babies didn't open one eye each. I didn't notice until too late and now they have both lost the sight in that eye. I have spent about £150 in vets bills, all might have been avoided if I had noticed the eyes earlier and ensure they were open and infection free. One bun might still have to have an operation yet to correct the eye shape.

If you need any info/pictures (they are not nice), then feel free to contact me.

Please, please, please ensure the eyes are open x x

edit: the best way, I found was using a wet cotton bud, running it along where the opening should be. The first few days, I was doing this, pretty much on the hour, every hour, as they wouldn't stay open because of the amount of 'gunk' that was behind the eye.

If the eyes are not open (assuming they are older than 10-14 days) then please wet and open (not forced open though) them ASAP. In my last litter, two of my babies didn't open one eye each. I didn't notice until too late and now they have both lost the sight in that eye. I have spent about £150 in vets bills, all might have been avoided if I had noticed the eyes earlier and ensure they were open and infection free. One bun might still have to have an operation yet to correct the eye shape.

If you need any info/pictures (they are not nice), then feel free to contact me.

Please, please, please ensure the eyes are open x x

edit: the best way, I found was using a wet cotton bud, running it along where the opening should be. The first few days, I was doing this, pretty much on the hour, every hour, as they wouldn't stay open because of the amount of 'gunk' that was behind the eye.

I came home tonight and all of them have their eyes open I've defiantely seen eyeballs :)

Back