• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny w/o water - now what?

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
So I'm feeling really bad about Teyla not having water because the bottle broke. It's fairly warm here too. She was without water for a day or so before I noticed the water level wasn't dropping. Once I fixed it she drank and drank, and ate her pellets and hay, is going about her usual routine, even went pee. But her poops are smaller than usual...That's got me all kinds of paranoid.

What should we be doing for her? What should we look for?

Thanks.

So I'm feeling really bad about Teyla not having water because the bottle broke. It's fairly warm here too. She was without water for a day or so before I noticed the water level wasn't dropping. Once I fixed it she drank and drank, and ate her pellets and hay, is going about her usual routine, even went pee. But her poops are smaller than usual...That's got me all kinds of paranoid.

What should we be doing for her? What should we look for?

Thanks.

Do you feed her fresh Veg? Aswell as the water that will help her general hydration.
I'd place a bowl of water down for her too, Rabbits often drink more from a bowl.
Her poos should return to normal within 24-36 hours once her general hydration stabalises. If they dont you need to consult your Vet.

Okay, gave her a bowl. Will also wet some carrot tops (her fav) and give those to her too...Thanks for the help!

I'll post if anything changes!

I completely agree with Jane (anyone would be crazy not to! :lol:), and I just wanted to add that you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. Eddison's water bottle went empty some time before Christmas, but when I checked on it, I thought it was full because I couldn't see the water line. It had leaked, but the puddle dried up before I could notice.

Then he started drinking the water from my Christmas tree. :shock: I was like, "what has gotten into you!?" Long story short, that was how I learned that Eddison was out of water and that Eddison preferred a bowl. :lol:

I had so bad experience with bottles either not dropping or leeking, that I always put bowls of water for the rabbit I had, as I don't trust bottles very much now and I find bowls easier to clean that bottles... and in case of heat wave I change it often too..

As said above,giving your rabbit fresh veg will help, maybe if she does not drink much water you could perhaps put a few drops of fruit juice to make it testy and incite her to drink just now to recover and fully rehydrate...:love:

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a water bottle a couple of wks ago. It wasnt dripping i was lucky i had a spare one. I change all the water bottles at least once a day and touched the spout and nothing came out lucky they all drink out of bowls.

I never use water bottle for that reason, among other. They drink more water on bowl than on bottle. No being, animal or human, enjoy inverts their head 180 deg. to suck water.

The right thing is to get a heavy clay bowl to fill it w/ water

I use a big ceramic dog water bowl for the buns, but they also have big water bottles as Barney REFUSES, hehe, to drink out of a bowl.

He looks at me with this expression on his face like "THAT'S for dogs, and I am soooo NOT drinking out of it", :lol:

Cheeky boy.

Happy Hoping is right, is not a natural position to drink l.. even worse for Guinea Pig or smaller animals.. if one is not careful to put the correct size and level... I am not even sure that at terms, it is that good for the vertebras of the neck ...

Bowl in ceramic are very steady with no risk of being tossed !. I have one bought many years ago in a pet shop with the hedge curved inside so teeth cannot grip it... :lol:

good news ! :wave::rabbit2: she seems to be safe now if she continues to eat hay, fresh veg and drink.... its always a worry when we dont know what to expect... we are all mums watching poos I'm sure, this is the first thing at look at each morning, if they are OK, small or normal, :lol:I'm so afraid after what sh's been thru a while ago

Back