• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eric - advice please (is it teeth?) U/D both boys are well

Hello
I think Eric has begun to go into Stasis 3 times in the last month.(each time I thought I was going to lose him:(:()
He just flops and doesn't want to eat and drink (not even raisins - his absolute favourite)
Each time, we have got him moving and after about an hour he drinks and eats! And then he is fine again.
He had his myxi jab on March 11th and I got the vet to check his teeth. He said they were fine (in fact he said E & E were the fittest Lionheads he'd ever seen)
But last night he had his 3rd bout and it took about 3 and a half hours to get him to drink!!

Here are his symptoms and I still suspect teeth, but any other advice would be appreciated.

I have seen him biting his food bowl twice recently (even when food in it)

He will eat his greens, but a bit like you would eat somethig you don't like - you know sort of moving it round the mouth not wanting to swallow!He does eat it but a lot slower.

He is now only eating the tip of his hay. Not working his way down likea piece of spaghetti

He has had a few dark wet poos, but I put this down more to not eating much hay and more veg.

Last night I also heard him chattering his teeth.

This morning he seemed bright enough, ate a spring green leaf and tried Hay, but didn't eat any amount. I later managed to give him some carrot.

He also went to bite Ernie this morning, so I suspect he's feeling a bit grumpy.

Sorry for the long post, but would like to feel prepared for the vets!

Thank you

Last edited:
did the vet do any x rays? could be tooth root probelms? or alternativly check the back teeth since that visit there could be spurs appear this would make him uncomfy, alternativly it could be something in his diet that doesnt agree with him or due to his long fur that is causeing a blockage.. d oyou give him pinapple juice fresh regualrly? that would help with blockages? x

It could possibly be teeth. Did the vet use an otoscope....even when looking in the mouth while the bun is conscious, it can still be very difficult to assess if there is anything untoward going on.

I would have him examined again. It could be the fact he's shedding his winter coat and ingesting too much fur that is the cause of his tummy problems, but it never hurts to be safe than sorry.

did the vet do any x rays? could be tooth root probelms? or alternativly check the back teeth since that visit there could be spurs appear this would make him uncomfy, alternativly it could be something in his diet that doesnt agree with him or due to his long fur that is causeing a blockage.. d oyou give him pinapple juice fresh regualrly? that would help with blockages? x

Hi Bunlover
No the vet didn't do any x-rays. The vet we saw previously suggested that when he had his myxi jab, to gas him a little bit to look, but the vet we saw suggested We wrapped Eric in a towel and I held him firmly while the vet looked into his mouth with a ....scope. Sorry can't remember the correct word:oops::oops:
He had his teeth filed when he was neutered in August last year and I have always, kept an eye out for any signs of pain.
I have tried pineapple juice before and he doesn't like fruit at all (except raisins). It did cross my mind that he might have a blockage too.

I also wondered if he might be stressed. The little blighters (the kids in our road and their friends from all over the place) were out kicking footballs around again yesterday and all the noise that goes with it)SO wondered if that might stress him out.

I'll give the vets a ring and see what they suggest. It's just so worrying, that he gets like this and the next day, you would think there had been nothing wrong.
But when Eric won't eat a rasin and he'll let you cuddle him - you know he's just not well.:(:(

As for Ernie, he gets all concerned - grooming and cuddling!

It could possibly be teeth. Did the vet use an otoscope....even when looking in the mouth while the bun is conscious, it can still be very difficult to assess if there is anything untoward going on.

I would have him examined again. It could be the fact he's shedding his winter coat and ingesting too much fur that is the cause of his tummy problems, but it never hurts to be safe than sorry.

Thank You - you filled in the gap for me with the Otoscope:):)

Yes the ingesting fur also crossed my mind.

I'll give the vets a call now.

Thanks for help everyone

I have had a few bunnies with similar symptoms, I don't want to scare you as it probably isn't the same thing but all mine had abdominal tumours or cancers.

Like I said chances are it isn't the same but just thought I would let you know. If his teeth do come back ok it might be worth doing abdominal xrays.

The fact that he is a long haired rabbit and that they are normally moulting this time of year might be the simple explanation :)

I have had a few bunnies with similar symptoms, I don't want to scare you as it probably isn't the same thing but all mine had abdominal tumours or cancers.

Like I said chances are it isn't the same but just thought I would let you know. If his teeth do come back ok it might be worth doing abdominal xrays.

The fact that he is a long haired rabbit and that they are normally moulting this time of year might be the simple explanation :)

Thank you - I have him booked into the vets at 5.10pm today.
I hope it's not any form of cancer:(:(. I'll try not to think about that)
I am seeing a different vet, so hopefully he will investigate further.
Poor Eric, he is the bigger one of the 2 and the more dominent, so you would think he would be less fragile, but the truth is - he is!! I hate it when I think what he has been through.

Please can I have some good news vibes and hope that whatever it is that's causing it can be found and treated.

My poor "big" boy:(:(

I would think it is Dental problems, especially if he is from the same genetic line as Honey.
Good luck at the Vets :)

I would think it is Dental problems, especially if he is from the same genetic line as Honey.
Good luck at the Vets :)

Thanks Jane
yes, teeth are my first guess, but hopefully we will know more by this evening.
Touch wood, Honey is fine at the moment, but will still be looking out for any signs of pain long term.

I feed them all on stalky hay from the DFC, so I'm hoping it helps.

Hello
Just to let you know, the vets still couldn't see if there was anything wrong and I have agreed to take him in tomorrow to go under GA for further investigations. They will also do an x-ray on tummy!

I had to weigh up everything and thought that it was better to go ahead.
If they don't find anything that would be fantastic and we'll just have to accept that he gets those times when he is prone to stasis and keep a good close eye on him
or
if they do find something we can at least treat it.

Ernie is going with him too, so it is going to be a stressful day for all concerned.

I know there are a lot of poorly buns on here at the moment, but if anyone has any spare vibes for Eric, we would be so grateful.

Back