• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another horsey question

Monkey

Warren Veteran
Why are some horses weighted in races? I don't get it, please can someone explain?

Is it something to do with giving them a handicap? Why would they do that?

Ta :0)

If the race is a handicap the handicapper gives them a certain amount of weight to carry based on past performances to try and make it equal for all horses in the race. The idea being that they would all cross the line together and in order to win the race a horse would have to improve its performance. This is only the case for handicaps though. There are other complications such as allowances for mares, penalties for previous wins within a certain time and age allowances too

Last edited:
Oh right. I never realised things were quite so well thought out?

Suppose that would be like giving the fastest man (or woman) in the world a lead weight to carry in the 100m sprint?

If the race is a handicap the handicapper gives them a certain amount of weight to carry based on past performances to try and make it equal for all horses in the race. The idea being that they would all cross the line together and in order to win the race a horse would have to improve its performance. This is only the case for handicaps though. There are other complications such as allowances for mares, penalties for previous wins within a certain time and age allowances too

Wow that’s interesting, I always thought it was because some of the jockeys were fatter than others so the lighter ones needed to be weighted :lol:

Wow that’s interesting, I always thought it was because some of the jockeys were fatter than others so the lighter ones needed to be weighted :lol:
It is that also eg if a horse has been allocated to carry ten stone in a race and the jockey and saddle only weigh 9 and a half stone the rest of the ten stone will be made up with lead weights in the saddle cloth

Back